General Questions, Concerns and Compliments topic

That’s okay. Sometimes it’s difficult to know on the Internet.

Also, a lot of users list their preferred pronouns in their bios, so that’s always a good place to check.

6 Likes

Hello fellow forumers! I just wanted to bring up some things I’ve been seeing lately.

There’s been a lot of excess chatting and off-topicness the past few days. Remember, this is the Hopscotch Forum.
• If you see a conversation that’s veering towards other things, give a small reminder to stay on topic and try to find a way to talk about code-related topics.

• Don’t spam. Keep all conversations to actual, productive conversations.
• If a topic closes, please refrain from complaining about it or spamming upon its reopening. Also avoid using other topics to continue the off-topicness or whatever caused the closing.

It’s the responsibility of every one of us, not just the leaders and a few others, to keep this place neat and tidy.

Often, off-topicness presents the need to be reminded of the guidelines as well. Even if you’ve been here a long time, it’s always a good idea to refresh your memory about what’s allowed and what’s not allowed. Keep in mind that there are younger users on here, and something that you might not think is “bad” could lead to sketchy conversations.

Additionally, remember to keep the number of images to a minimum and relatively code-related as they cost THT real money. Photo edits are considered art and need to be edited into a portfolio in the DHT.

13 Likes

That is true, good reminder

3 Likes

Good Reminder Sophia!

3 Likes

<3
I want to add on to this

Spam.ming is not only annoying, It can get you suspended
I say this from experience.
Please keep the discussion code-related and neat and kind, not only for your sakes, but for the communities as well.

Always Always Always TBYP (Think Before You Post)
If your post seems rude please just don’t post it. Even if it’s your honest opinion, it might hurt others, and that is one thing we should always keep in mind not just here, but anywhere on the internet. I don’t want to bring the topic back up but this is serious. We all should do this- me included. I’ve been guilty of starting flame wars before, so this isn’t directed at the people themselves, this is a general reminder, even for myself.

4 Likes

Hey y’all! Several other users have given similar reminders lately, but I wanted to explain the issue a little more and post it in a place where it’s easier to find.

I know we don’t have general topics anymore, but the goal of this community is still the same—to be a safe, friendly place for talking about code. Lately, I’ve seen a lot of different forms of negativity. Hopefully, this post will help clear up some things that you may not have even realized were problems.

First off, if you see something sketchy happening on the app—whether it be a mean user, inappropriate content, or people who you feel are taking advantage of certain features—it’s best to not spread the negativity any further. Consider negativity to be a type of virus (something we’re all very familiar with). If you report the project or email THT and let them handle the situation, no one else is affected. However, if you link projects here, many more people know about the situation than would have known before.

Another closely related issue is making accusations against specific users. Whether or not the person has done something wrong or not, it’s best to contact THT via email or tell the leads through edit history in the Leaders Q&A topic. Calling someone out publicly can hurt their feelings, and you never know if you misunderstood the situation or accused the wrong person.

One of the most obvious forms of negative behavior is complaining. A bad day can leave you drained, and life is hard. However, that is no excuse to constantly complain about what you don’t have—whether it be things, popularity, or happiness. I know myself that sometimes you need to let out a little vent, and this is an amazingly supportive community. Remember to keep it within the guidelines—no inappropriate content, injuries, calling out other users, or personal information—and try to be the sun in someone’s day rather than sharing your rain cloud.

So what should you do if you see negativity? Well, if the situation warrants it, flag the post, and the leaders will handle the rest. An occasional friendly reminder to stay positive and on topic is also appreciated as long as it doesn’t contribute to any off-topicness. Beyond that, it’s best not to make a huge deal of it. Responding to negativity with more negativity only makes a situation spiral out of control. Think before you post, and always be respectful to others.

I hope y’all will at least take a moment to think about this and how it applies to you, not just others. We all have room for improvement, and we all need to keep this place as welcoming as possible.

TLDR: Don’t spread negativity. Keep complaints about petty things to a minimum and take serious ones straight to THT or the leaders.

6 Likes