General Questions, Concerns and Compliments topic

Hello fellow forumers! I just wanted to bring up some things I’ve been seeing lately.

There’s been a lot of excess chatting and off-topicness the past few days. Remember, this is the Hopscotch Forum.
• If you see a conversation that’s veering towards other things, give a small reminder to stay on topic and try to find a way to talk about code-related topics.

• Don’t spam. Keep all conversations to actual, productive conversations.
• If a topic closes, please refrain from complaining about it or spamming upon its reopening. Also avoid using other topics to continue the off-topicness or whatever caused the closing.

It’s the responsibility of every one of us, not just the leaders and a few others, to keep this place neat and tidy.

Often, off-topicness presents the need to be reminded of the guidelines as well. Even if you’ve been here a long time, it’s always a good idea to refresh your memory about what’s allowed and what’s not allowed. Keep in mind that there are younger users on here, and something that you might not think is “bad” could lead to sketchy conversations.

Additionally, remember to keep the number of images to a minimum and relatively code-related as they cost THT real money. Photo edits are considered art and need to be edited into a portfolio in the DHT.

14 Likes

That is true, good reminder

3 Likes

Good Reminder Sophia!

3 Likes

<3
I want to add on to this

Spam.ming is not only annoying, It can get you suspended
I say this from experience.
Please keep the discussion code-related and neat and kind, not only for your sakes, but for the communities as well.

Always Always Always TBYP (Think Before You Post)
If your post seems rude please just don’t post it. Even if it’s your honest opinion, it might hurt others, and that is one thing we should always keep in mind not just here, but anywhere on the internet. I don’t want to bring the topic back up but this is serious. We all should do this- me included. I’ve been guilty of starting flame wars before, so this isn’t directed at the people themselves, this is a general reminder, even for myself.

8 Likes

Hey y’all! Several other users have given similar reminders lately, but I wanted to explain the issue a little more and post it in a place where it’s easier to find.

I know we don’t have general topics anymore, but the goal of this community is still the same—to be a safe, friendly place for talking about code. Lately, I’ve seen a lot of different forms of negativity. Hopefully, this post will help clear up some things that you may not have even realized were problems.

First off, if you see something sketchy happening on the app—whether it be a mean user, inappropriate content, or people who you feel are taking advantage of certain features—it’s best to not spread the negativity any further. Consider negativity to be a type of virus (something we’re all very familiar with). If you report the project or email THT and let them handle the situation, no one else is affected. However, if you link projects here, many more people know about the situation than would have known before.

Another closely related issue is making accusations against specific users. Whether or not the person has done something wrong or not, it’s best to contact THT via email or tell the leads through edit history in the Leaders Q&A topic. Calling someone out publicly can hurt their feelings, and you never know if you misunderstood the situation or accused the wrong person.

One of the most obvious forms of negative behavior is complaining. A bad day can leave you drained, and life is hard. However, that is no excuse to constantly complain about what you don’t have—whether it be things, popularity, or happiness. I know myself that sometimes you need to let out a little vent, and this is an amazingly supportive community. Remember to keep it within the guidelines—no inappropriate content, injuries, calling out other users, or personal information—and try to be the sun in someone’s day rather than sharing your rain cloud.

So what should you do if you see negativity? Well, if the situation warrants it, flag the post, and the leaders will handle the rest. An occasional friendly reminder to stay positive and on topic is also appreciated as long as it doesn’t contribute to any off-topicness. Beyond that, it’s best not to make a huge deal of it. Responding to negativity with more negativity only makes a situation spiral out of control. Think before you post, and always be respectful to others.

I hope y’all will at least take a moment to think about this and how it applies to you, not just others. We all have room for improvement, and we all need to keep this place as welcoming as possible.

TLDR: Don’t spread negativity. Keep complaints about petty things to a minimum and take serious ones straight to THT or the leaders.

9 Likes

I know what y’all are thinking. “Sophia’s doing another one of these? Shouldn’t she be working on school?” You’re right.

I’ve noticed a general pattern of off-topicness and guideline breaking lately, and I just wanted to give a few reminders. If you haven’t read the guidelines recently, I’d highly recommend it. We all need a refresher sometimes.

I don’t think the guidelines are in any particular order, but this is part of the very first guideline: be nice (defined by Google as “having or showing a friendly, generous, and considerate nature”).

If someone doesn’t understand their code, feel free to help them, but remember that we’re all in different stages of our Hopscotch journey. A year ago, you may even have not known the things they’re asking about. Always be willing to help others with a generous heart.

If someone breaks the guidelines, give them a little of the same grace you’d wish to receive if you were in their situation. Of course, a friendly reminder is welcome, and if someone legitimately doesn’t understand, help point them in the right direction. However, having several people tell you the same thing becomes overwhelming and spammy and draws attention to the negativity. If something is serious, flag it and let the leaders handle it.

Lastly, just keep in mind that this forum is used by people of all different ages, backgrounds, and abilities. That being said, people might do things a little different than you would, but that’s okay! For instance, if someone’s grammar or spelling isn’t what you’re used to or find acceptable, please refrain from constantly correcting them as it can become spammy or come off as arrogant. If the meaning isn’t clear or if you’re just joking around with a friend, find a respectful way to ask for clarification or correct them. Grammar is important; making sure that everyone feels welcome and valued is even more important.

Anyways, I hope y’all have a good day/night/afternoon and took a few minutes of your life to think about how to be a kind person. It’s something you’re going to need in life beyond just this forum.

11 Likes

Hi @Jazz, Do you know how to have a item move toward another item? I do not have premium but am wondering for one of my projects. Thank you for helping.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to move one block towards each other.

3 Likes

What exactly do you mean? Do you mean having one object move towards another?

2 Likes

Yes @sophia . At the end of my project, I want all the dogs to move toward the main character. Is there a way to do this without premium?
I can’t put a link here but in hopscotch, just look up Dog Destroyers v. 1.5. At the end is the part I have trouble with

2 Likes

I’ll take a look later when I’m on HS unless someone beats me to it. It is very well possible to do it without the subscription, but I’ll have to play around to figure out an efficient way.

If you’ll copy and paste it, just add a whole bunch of spaces to the link and system will let you post

1 Like

There is! Definitely there is

1 Like

Jokes on you I am already big brained enough to be unsmart

haha gottem

6 Likes

Hi @Innerpanda ! If there is a way, what is it? Thank you so much for helping!

3 Likes

same

i try not to though

3 Likes

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/11mhrd0mv0 Tap the bear then go to the first game is playing block

2 Likes

Although @/Innerpanda’s solution works, I’ve made one that only uses one set angle block. Although it is a long one.

3 Likes

You can combine this with move forward to make it move.

2 Likes

Bump – this should be revisited; this applies to topics from returning users (the typo “retuning use” should be “returning user”) as well as new users.

Let’s work to welcome new users and re-welcome returners instead saying of “sorry, this isn’t allowed”, especially when people have already done that on the topic.

Again, this isn’t to point fingers, but there have been multiple examples in the past few weeks, and I know that if I were a new user, I would certainly not feel welcomed by a chain of posts saying what I did wasn’t allowed.

example
example

10 Likes

I have a question. Do you have to get permission from someone before hosting a contest on Hopscotch?

4 Likes