💢 General List of Game-Breaking bugs (Megatopic?)

As you know I have faced many bugs and have mentioned it dozens of times, but @Rawrbear made a great point that I haven’t fully elaborated them all, or at least at once so here it is!

To the Hopscotch Team reading this, I mainly have this as a checklist for the worst of the worst so you can know what needs to be done on the app!

Also these are just the ones that instantly come to my head, there are so many more I’ve forgotten after working around them but many are small, hard to spot bugs with invisibility, size, and z-index. I will continue to update this list as I remember and find other bugs I’ve encountered but this should do for now.

:purple_square: = Bugs that make Hopscotch extremely hard to use, can be an instant turnoff for new users, also added a !! to currently the biggest bug in my opinion. These bugs can make me not want to code anymore.

:anger: = Bugs that are very annoying, but really don’t demotivate me from Hopscotch or turn off users.

:purple_square: ALL Images uploaded on iPhone stage sizes are blurry

Severity: High
Amount of Users Effected: Extremely High
My games affected: Optimization test for Flowers

Explanation

This causes all images on iPhone stages sizes to be blurry when uploaded. To fix this, open your computers, mod the file to the correct stage size, close and save instances, open on tablet, upload images, then close and save instances, change it back to normal on your computer

This is only done thanks to @/Awesome_E’s Spider HS mod!

This bug is massive and no, even with absolutely massive images it still does the same thing. The worst part is that this affects an incredible amount of users.

:purple_square::bangbang: Running to many blocks in a frame causes crashing

Severity: Extremely High
Amount of Users Effected: Medium-High
My games affected: Untitled Smoothie Game, Moose Island, Flowers

Explanation

This bug affects so many of my games and is harder to fix than it sounds. So many objects need a game starts block right when it opens. Not 50 or 100 milliseconds after, right when it opens. It doesn’t sound like a lot of time but it makes a huge difference and this affects nearly all of my games, especially Flowers and I had some problems with Untitled Smoothie Game as well.

This is a completely unfixable problem when you want a ton of objects to move at once, making that near impossible.

:purple_square: Floating Keyboard Bug

Severity: Extremely High
Amount of Users Effected: High
My games affected: Every single project

Explanation

This is a bug where when trying to add a new block the keyboard will just float in the air for a while, making you just sit there waiting for it to fall back down so you can click on it. This is extremely annoying for every project, where tons of time is wasted just waiting for it to drop back down. This mainly affects large iPad projects.

:purple_square: Bumping Objects Lag

Severity: Mediun-High
Amount of Users Effected: Low-Medium
My games affected: Flowers

Explanation

There is a ton of lag in when bump blocks, especially when using it a lot at once. I understand that this can be optimized in some aspects but this causes tons of lag when it’s meant to help with that by not using when touching blocks (another massive lag cause).

:purple_square: Too many visible clones leads to womp

Severity: High
My games affected: Flowers, Untitled Smoothie Game

Explanation

This is a bug with 3.0.0 when you create too many visible clones the project womps

:purple_square: Music Lag

Severity: High/Extremely High
My games affected: Flowers, Dashing Ninja 2

:anger: Stretched Rounded Squares Visual Bug

Severity: Meidum
My games affected: All of my games

Explanation

This bug is where any rounded square looks distorted when they aren’t a perfect square.

:anger: Text Hitboxes are too Large

Severity: Medium-High
My games affected: All of my games

Explanation

This bug causes sized up text to have an extremely big hitbox. This can cause it to be unusual even in the editor and potentially pretty annoying in a game.

Thanks for reading, tell me if you’ve experienced these and/or if you have any you would like to add.

@ShiningStars

18 Likes

I’m very serious when I say this is small compared to what I’ve gone through but I will remember over time now that I’m thinking about it more. These are already many major bugs anyways so its totally fine for now!

8 Likes

are you sure this isn’t Creating too many visible clones leads to a womp? if not then you should definitely include that in this list, it makes the most recent player versions basically unusable.

is this really high severity? I feel like if you’re destroying a lot of stuff then some lag is to be expected. i haven’t noticed any lag even when destroying ~ 64 ish clones all at the same time.

3 Likes

its too, not to
I think

This is a good topic, hopefully THT will see this and fix some of them

2 Likes

Yeah it’s different but I will for sure add it!

Maybe its more like medium/high but in my game flowers there is tons of lag simply from the destroying of objects

Could be becuase they’re moving too?

1 Like

how many are you destroying and how often? i feel like this is more of a problem with your code than hopscotch, like creating a lot of clones and having them all do something really expensive would create lag, but that wouldn’t really be a bug with hopscotch

2 Likes

Usually it’s pretty normal with just a couple, but when you destroy 5 or more (estimate not exact) it freezes for a little bit. Really what I’ve tried to do is to make them wait their clone index x 50 until destroying to separate the lag but I’m not super sure if it’s working

1 Like

are you sure? i’m destroying 10 all at once in this project and there’s no noticeable lag, how would I get it to lag?
https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/13u2p75o9y
(i can’t show the total clones because that womps the project when there aren’t any)

3 Likes

Yes! This is a huge problem! It’s been happening since version 3.57.0, which was the version when the way images are uploaded was changed so it uploads at 1x size instead of being dependent on your device’s screen scale.

このバグがすぐに修正されるといいですね
(I hope this bug is fixed soon)

3 Likes

You know what it might actually be a when bump issue now that i’m doing some testing in flowers

2 Likes

Yeah, that can create massive lag. Just look at this project: https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/13635gv1aq

What Hopscotch is using to check for collisions must be super expensive or something for it to be this laggy…

2 Likes

Yep that’s definitely it, will fix it!

Thanks for catching that along with @Petrichor

2 Likes

very useful topic, thanks for making it:)

not necessarily a bug but certainly an annoyance

a workaround: 1 rectangle with one rounded square on each side

4 Likes

Awesome! This is a great topic!!!

Floating keyboard should be fixed of all of these :skull:

3 Likes

too true :pensive:

3 Likes

Does anyone else experience a bug where if you tap “Published” to many times it says you haven’t published anything? (It’s easily fixed though).

5 Likes

Yeah it’s a bug for sure but not bad enough to be in the list, this is more for stuff that just ruins the experience of Hopscotch and could possibly cancel projects.

5 Likes

Luckily for me, I was able to get around the blurry image bug by asking Spy Guy 96 to upload them for me…

Just curious, how big did you have to make the stage size to make the images upload at a good enough quality?

And speaking of imagery, there’s also a bug where large sized images would end up being cut off or corrupted (especially if the image file size is really large like over a MB)…

2 Likes

I agree with this, and it’s mainly due to how the language/renderer it uses scales PNG / SVG graphics. The only way for it to look normal when scaled in any way is for the object to be created via PixiJS itself. It would also allow for an option to specify the corner radius…

3 Likes

What about the bug that makes images be cut in half?

1 Like