100% and I respect that

That still seems strange

Ok I’ll book mark it

Ima need a little more information on that because I’m confused

Sorry if I sound dùmb but who is jazz

6 Likes

I second that.

3 Likes

i actually 100% agree and was about to bring this up myself later today.
the only people that should be in unlisted topics are people that were tagged there and the Leaders for moderation. If its a collab for a competition, judges/hosts have the right to be in there as well.
beyond this, no one should intrude on the privacy and secrecy of an unlisted topic, that just defeats the purpose of the unlist and is incredibly disrespectful to the topic creator

9 Likes

@FearlessPhoenix what does Ab Aeterno Ad Infinitum mean

4 Likes

From Eternity to Infinity

3 Likes

Is it a long explanation as your taking a while too type?

3 Likes

aww well thanks yall.

Jazz was a moderator back in 2019. Ana brought her in to help train us (the OG Starship leaders).
She created this topic back then because many users had issues with the new moderation (both rules and those of us who were in positions to enforce them). because these issues were with us, there was no point in us ever getting involved – it would only start a conflict and none of us want that when it can peacefully be resolved by the adult responsible for overseeing us.

over time, this got much better and the topic expanded into a place for general concerns about the forum, leadership still included.
because of that, the same respect from the Leads still continues and they dont get involved in anything in this topic. it’s instead dealt with directly by the community manager, or answered by a community member if its a general question

thats also why we have to remember to follow this rule, and keep this topic as clean and spam free as possible on our own, with no moderation needed by a leader.

8 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up. We are looking into having a better way to protect the privacy for collaborations in unlisted topics, potentially other ways to help navigating it.

13 Likes

Hey @anisotr0py

This is a great idea for re-initiating contact for our forum users. I will speak to the team about this strategy to improve our forum experience. Thanks again!

12 Likes

Following @anisotr0py’s post, I think it’d be nice to revive something like the forum welcome team.
I’ve noticed a few of those users aren’t as active as they used to be, and it might be nice to have that back up, with a few changes:
I think it would also be cool if the welcome team was slightly larger, and if new users could be partnered with a veteran user for a week or so. The vet can show the newbie around, and if the new user has any questions, the vet can directly answer or pass on the question. That way, new users feel much more welcomed.

8 Likes

I didn’t know there was a welcome team. What you describe would make a huge difference to steer forum discussions towards new users and their questions and needs (it’s very much not that right now)

8 Likes

we’ve actually been working on this behind the scenes; the other welcomers and i have some stuff in the works.

we actually try our best to do this but it has been a bit difficult lately as we’ve all been busy and some team members haven’t been super active.

since the leaders actually mostly handle the welcome team (but aren’t allowed in this topic), i’ll bring the expansion idea up. however, i dont think it’s very likely at this time because of the new leaders. there’s already going to be new people welcomed to an official role and so time will have to go into that training and keeping everything running smoothly there, for both the leads and yuanyuan. because of this, there may not be a focus on adding even more new people.

tho i think once things settle down on that front, this is definitely more likely! perhaps even some strong leader applicants that didn’t make it will be invited to the welcome team? i think that’d be cool to see

10 Likes

It was something that was created in '19
It is a pretty cool idea

Absolutely

:+1: That’s super encouraging! Glad y’all are working on that

That would be nice

thanks for considering this :slight_smile:

6 Likes

me too. no spoilers but should be out soon

and yeah, of course! no problem

7 Likes

@FearlessPhoenix not gonna post this on the Leaders Q&A but I just wanted to say that I hope we can still be friends! I read through your post and I realize what you mentioned. I hope you can understand where I’m coming from!

5 Likes

of course :)) i definitely understand where youre coming from and i just wanted to help you understand where the others were coming from and i hope i was able to do that.

its never as black and white as it seems and while reassurance and updates (or just flat-out fast decisions) are always nice to have, sometimes its just not viable. i know that better than most so just wanted to explain it and save the leads some time

3 Likes

Sweet! Yeah, you did help with that.

It was less about the fact that it was being discussed, and more about the fact that I had no idea why the topic even needed to be closed, despite my input, and not knowing what was going on, haha. Lack of communication.

But I get what you were saying too, for sure, and I’m sorry if I came off as uncaring! That wasn’t my intent.

3 Likes

Maybe you should reapply! You seem active enough, and I bet you’d be a big help.

3 Likes

glad i could.

it might seem that way but the thing is that, despite whatever inout you can offer, the precent-setting has to be done by the leadership team and trust me, theyll think of every way to make something work. the goal is to make the community the best place it can be so the community’s best interests are always the second priority (after safety but thats a given and unchangeable number 1) and ways to make requests work are always at the forefront of everyones mind.
youll notice things like this happening:

which do an amazing job of demonstrating this.

instead of outright closing the topic because it doesnt fit, the lead here is making an active effort to allow the user to keep the topic and gear it back to the way it should be.

this was a super transparent example, which covered exactly why she was doing what she was doing. the same just couldnt be done for yours because they dont know exactly how to handle said situations, and that takes internal discussion before they can give you a similar offer.

in any case, dont worry about it! you definitely didnt seem uncaring, just impatient at most but it’s perfectly fine. youll get a re soon tho, and hopefully that confirmation from Yuanyuan was helpful :))

thanks haha. applications have closed tho, and i didnt apply

2 Likes

Awesome! I just didn’t know about that philosophy.

It wasn’t just transparency - there were a lot of moves that might seem transparent, but done indirectly - I just hadn’t gotten anything direct back from a leader. There’s a difference because, for instance, you said:

And then PumpkinGirl helped change the title, which did infer allowing shops. So that contradicts.

Getting a direct verdict from a leader is really powerful because it allows for a solid answer. And that’s exactly what the leaders are working on right now by updating the guideline, according to Yuanyuan - I just didn’t know it until now.

That wasn’t my intention either haha. I’d tried my best to stay professional and patient. My intent while asking the question wasn’t “why isn’t this getting done faster,” but rather “why haven’t I received any direct feedback about the closure”, but I guess I came off as in a rush. I was just confused, haha.

Thanks for helping! I’m not concerned anymore. :+1:

2 Likes