General Leadership Questions, Concerns and Compliments topic

I know what y’all are thinking. “Sophia’s doing another one of these? Shouldn’t she be working on school?” You’re right.

I’ve noticed a general pattern of off-topicness and guideline breaking lately, and I just wanted to give a few reminders. If you haven’t read the guidelines recently, I’d highly recommend it. We all need a refresher sometimes.

I don’t think the guidelines are in any particular order, but this is part of the very first guideline: be nice (defined by Google as “having or showing a friendly, generous, and considerate nature”).

If someone doesn’t understand their code, feel free to help them, but remember that we’re all in different stages of our Hopscotch journey. A year ago, you may even have not known the things they’re asking about. Always be willing to help others with a generous heart.

If someone breaks the guidelines, give them a little of the same grace you’d wish to receive if you were in their situation. Of course, a friendly reminder is welcome, and if someone legitimately doesn’t understand, help point them in the right direction. However, having several people tell you the same thing becomes overwhelming and spammy and draws attention to the negativity. If something is serious, flag it and let the leaders handle it.

Lastly, just keep in mind that this forum is used by people of all different ages, backgrounds, and abilities. That being said, people might do things a little different than you would, but that’s okay! For instance, if someone’s grammar or spelling isn’t what you’re used to or find acceptable, please refrain from constantly correcting them as it can become spammy or come off as arrogant. If the meaning isn’t clear or if you’re just joking around with a friend, find a respectful way to ask for clarification or correct them. Grammar is important; making sure that everyone feels welcome and valued is even more important.

Anyways, I hope y’all have a good day/night/afternoon and took a few minutes of your life to think about how to be a kind person. It’s something you’re going to need in life beyond just this forum.

11 Likes