Game Salad, Game Maker, Unity, Construct 3?

Hi Hopscotchers. I have a question for you: have any of you tried to use any game development software/engine, like Game Salad or Game Maker? Unity also qualifies, even though it's harder. If you haven't, no need to answer. If you tried but you weren't successful because it was too boring or too hard, then it's ok, you can answer and tell me your experience. So, here's something you can copy/aste:

• Which programs did you used?
  • How far did you went? Were you able to make something cool?
  • If you weren't, why not?
  • What did were you trying to make?
  • Where did you found this app (friends, internet, ad, family, school, other)?

Hope you can help. :slight_smile:

What's game salad maker

@Currency5097193

:slight_smile:

Presumably, it's a

To answer your question

Oh
What is a game development software engine

Probably best to search it up..

Lgbot.

LGbtquiaapd

@shamrockcat

I'm using Construct 2.
Have been for around 4 months.
I like the Syntax/correction/suggestion lists that comes when typing.
The games file can be edited directly with XML and there's a feature to make a plug in using JavaScript.
Quite a few games on the App Store including FNAF have been made using Construct 2.
I'm currently making physics for a 3 on 3 sumo wrestling type game.
Velocity,linear dampening,impulse can be set, but there's no pre made bounce physics.
I'm having to make my own maths formula for effects from sprites colliding.

Ooh, there are a few engines that I've used before:

• GameMaker: Studio Pro. I've been a big fan of GM:S for a little while now! I use GM:S 1.4, although I believe it caps up to that version. They've started working on GameMaker: Studio 2 now; it's in beta at the moment. I bought it when I saw a Humble Bundle sale that sold it for super cheap (only $15)! As of now, I've only went as far as to make an RPG game engine and a Brick Breaker/Atari Breakout prototype. I love that you don't necessarily need to look over tutorials to make a simple program, but if you choose not to look through tutorials, there'll be a lot of documentation referral/syntax searching. Nonetheless, I love this platform. :smiley:
  • Unity C#. This is an awesome engine that offers great 2D/3D framework to makes games with! I was recommended to try out this engine by a friend. I've only started the beginners Roll a Ball tutorial they offer, but I'm beginning to familiarize myself with the software at a decent pace now! It also offers an online sprite library where you can purchase or obtain sprites or models (which are sometimes for free). Why I didn't choose Unity at first is because at a glance, it looks very confusing until you go through tutorials, plus there are a lot of terms you'll have to learn to grasp the engine in its entirety. This engine is still amazing, though; it also has a built in "Collaborate" feature that's currently being tested in beta - I'm currently collaborating with a dev team to make a medieval RPG game.
  • Brackets. This is a text editor primarily based upon HTML/CSS/JS development, but also supports syntax highlighting for other languages. I've went as far as to make a personal portfolio for my school's Computer Science class with Brackets (which I unfortunately can't showcase - it has contact information on it, which violates the Community Guidelines of this forum). It also showcases a variety of extensions and themes created by the community, which includes a dandy Hopscotch theme! I've never found this editor uncomfortable to use in any situation, as it has great syntax highlighting, automatic tag completion, addons/extensions for pretty much anything else that you'd need, plus live webpage preview!
  • Raw C++ with Code:Blocks and Python 3.6. I've just recently started learning these two programming languages on SoloLearn, but they've been really awesome and ergonomic programming languages to learn! I can't tell you much about these two languages, as I've only scratched the surface of them, but:
    • Code:Blocks is an IDE that supports a wide range of compilers. This is an IDE that's very similar to Game Maker: Studio in the way it's laid out. I haven't used it much, but the layout isn't very bad at all to learn if you already know C++.
    • I've used Python 3.6's shell/console in a few recent tests (just a few math tests like addition and exponents; I've just started learning this language today), but that's really it so far. I haven't found an IDE yet, but I'm thinking about using NetBeans. I've used it just a tiny bit a few years back when going through the process of making a Minecraft mod, but that's really it. xD

I hope this helps in some way!

Edit: gosh, I wrote a lot; sorry about that, haha :p

I actually was just looking into this kind of stuff when I got bored and came to the hopscotch forum.

Do you know any (preferably free) good video game coding software and graphic design software for beginners??? I want to try my hand at things other than scratch and HS. I am also looking into creating better graphics.

Does GDevApp count? Lately I have been playing around with that.

I use paint.net for creating simple/temporary replacement sprites. It's pretty much a free, simple version of Photoshop (which is much more ergonomic than GNU GIMP)! Other than that, I use Aseprite for 8/16/32/64-bit sprites. ^^

I have used game maker a lot before.

1. Game maker
  2. I made a prototype, I did not go to far, nothing special but I made an rpg type thinng
  3. I forgot about game maker and I got lazy, but also I did not know how to do it on my own so
  4. An RPG
  5. The creator of UNDERTALE used it so I thought I should learn it

I will go back to game maker, but that will be later

Thanks!!!
I am just getting into this stuff and I want to try and make a few actual video games.

Yep, same here! Toby Fox used Game Maker to make the popular indie game Undertale, which was the second reason I bought the Pro license on sale.

Ah, cool! Good luck! I've listed a few game engines/programming languages I've used before on post 9, if you'd like to check that out. ^^

I use Construct 3 by Scirra, and Game Maker. I have published a handful of free games that were pretty successful, but have lost popularity since. My most popular, CraZe, went on to get 1,000+ downloads, but, like the rest, died.

I found this app through the school's App Store, Self Service. At the time, I had recently published the afformentioned CraZe with good reviews so I thought I'd try this out. One of the better choices I've made in my opinion.

Adding on to this, I have got funded for a new game that's in beta at the moment. The current funding is $400+. I will not reveal the name as of yet, because I want to surprise you all with free copies of the game when it comes out. :D

1. Udk (unreal development kit) it's a 3D game design thing.
  2. I didn't do that much I only made a room and barely remember how to use the software xD.
  3. I didn't make something super cool because I didn't have very much time and because the software got confusing.
  4. I was trying to make something simple like a room that explodes.
  5. My dad told me about it.

Yeah, the easiest way to learn how to make games is Hopscotch. :slight_smile: