Frame delay for immediate blocks in containers, when they are first

Oh oops sorry.

3 Likes

They’ll see it :) just give it some time, they’re very busy rn.

5 Likes

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Old Custom Blocks Aren’t Compatible with Parameters when Updating to 2.0

Not all workers are leaders, some are even at member!

3 Likes

I can confirm that there’s a bug.

The extra wait time is not intentional — if a Set/Increase block is first in Check Once If, there should not be a frame delay.

This appears to be the same as this issue, so I will merge it there:

4 Likes

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Increase var, set pos, v1.5 — Frame rate testing by TalentedToothpick92 Add this code to a project with webplayer 1.5.x, with any Set Position block and Increase Variable block inside a container

At the end, the Text will display how many times Frame has been increased (i.e. how many frames it took to execute the Repeat loop.)

1. Increase var, set pos, v 2.0.0 — Frame rate testing by TalentedToothpick92 Download the project and update to latest player (2.0.0 on production)
  2. Play the project.

Expected: The Repeat loop takes 90 frames to execute in both webplayer 1.5.x and 2.0.0
Actual: The Repeat loop takes 90 frames to execute in webplayer 1.5.x and 180 frames to execute in 2.0.0

These projects both have the same code:

This also applies to the Set Variable block. If the Set/Increase Variable block is removed from the Repeat loop in both cases, then both loops take 90 frames to execute.

And applies for these containers:

3 Likes

Well, I wish you and THT the best of luck with that.

2 Likes

Sorry just to update expectations — I had thought we were going to try and fix it, but I can’t guarantee high priority necessarily.
The player is versioned so that projects will work in that version. There isn’t a guarantee that a project will work on all versions.

Can I ask how platformers are broken by the change? @Spy_Guy_96 @Crosbyman64

5 Likes

Most if not all platformers were made in version 1.5.x or earlier, so they aren’t much of an issue. We haven’t made any new ones due to the bug.

So, all of them will break if updated to the latest player. Partially to be expected, because of the custom rules/abilities thing…

4 Likes

I updated a platformer to the newest player and the tiles won’t even load correctly, and neither does the collision work.

3 Likes

We don’t currently have support for old projects being updated to the latest 2.0 webplayer, though you can update them if you wish — the expectation is that they at least work for the player version that they were made, but they may not work for all versions of the player.

In 2.0 there were a lot of changes, and the frame delay may have moved from the end to the start. There is a frame delay for immediate block calculations between running a container:

4 Likes

Is there something specifically preventing the platformers from being made / working in new projects?

3 Likes

As long as we only use 1 set variable block per container, it shouldn’t be an issue. It is, however, an inconvenience when we have to do it.

3 Likes

Which means nobody will join my platformer comp. :frowning:
Also bump.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty much time to give up the platformer series /j /lh

1 Like