Forum hidden functions

Hi everyone! Today, I wanted to share some things you might not know that you could do on the forum! These small tips and tricks range from tips when editing posts to tips when browsing the forum. You might already know some of these, but hopefully, you will learn something new!

Advanced search filters

Searching for something but just can’t seem to find it? Try doing an advanced search.
Here, you can choose from a variety of options for an enhanced search experience. You can also open this menu by clicking on the search icon on the top right of the page, and then clicking on “options”.

Search only within a topic

To search only within the specific topic you have open, click the search icon on the top right of the page and check the “Search this topic” checkbox.

View replies from a specific user in the particular topic

If you want to view all replies from a special user in the topic that you currently have open, click on their avatar. A box with their profile will show up. Click on the button that says “— posts in topic” (on the top right of the box that opens) to see all their posts in the current topic. To return to where you were before, click on their avatar again and click on “Remove filter”.

Code syntax highlighting

Sharing a piece of computer code in your posts? The forum can syntax highlight it (make it look nicer) if you specify the language the code you are sharing is written in. This does not work with Hopscotch code, but it works with many popular coding languages.
To add syntax highlighted code in a post, write like this:

` ``coding language
code goes here ```

Don’t forget to remove the space between the first backtick and the second one to make it work! Replace “coding language” with the language your code is written in (e.g. “python” or “javascript”)

Here are a few examples:
Code syntax highlighting for Python:

print("Hello World!")

Code syntax highlighting for JavaScript:

console.log("This community rock!");

Code syntax highlighting for CSS:

h1 {
font-color: white;
font-family: 'Roboto', sans-serif;
}

Forum keyboard shortcuts

If you are on a keyboard, you can get a much better experience on the forum! By pressing certain keys, you can navigate and do different things instead of having to move your cursor. Here are a few useful shortcuts:

List

Press Shift and r at the same time in the reply editor to post your reply
Press the c key to open the topic creation menu
Press = to open the menu beside your avatar on the top right of the forum
Press p to open the user menu.
Press u to go back to the previous page you visited.

You can find all the available keyboard shortcuts by clicking on the icon with three lines beside your avatar and click on “Keyboard Shortcuts”.

I hope you learned something from these tips! I have a couple more to share, so if you like this, I can create a few more topics like this one!
If anything is unclear, ask below! I didn’t put images to save on the forum’s storage.

15 Likes

Nice topic, thanks for making this, it will be helpful to new users!

6 Likes

Thanks! Did you know about all these?

5 Likes

oh nice, thanks for this will!

4 Likes

Cool, thanks for making this!

Another keyboard shortcut, spam JLJLJL to spamlike. J scrolls down, L likes the post.

4 Likes

Not the computer tricks, but I’m pretty sure I knew about the others

2 Likes

Nice

(Used Shift +R lol)

3 Likes

That’s actually really useful! At least for spamliking :wink:

4 Likes

The most useful keyboard shortcuts are j to go forward a post and k to go back a post. Just r will reply to the currently selected post.

5 Likes

When I found out about keyboard shortcuts existing, it made many tasks so much easier! I am still exploring them.

j, k and r are very helpful indeed!

6 Likes

Cool!
I already knew them all, but it will be good for new users.

6 Likes

Wow this is an impressive collection of tips and tricks :hushed:
thank you for making it- it’ll be super helpful for all users, new and old!

5 Likes

Nice topic :smile:!

4 Likes

Nice topic and tricks!

4 Likes

Wow, that’s really cool! I’ve heard of a few of the functions here, since I’ve been on a few other discourse forums, but not the other ones.

3 Likes

How do you make that line in your post?

2 Likes

You just type a coupe of “_”-characters on the same line.

Example:

Below this text is a line.
_______
Above this text is a line.

Below this text is a line.

Above this text is a line.

3 Likes

Whoa!

Thanks!

4 Likes

You can also use
--- or ***

5 Likes

I didn’t know that to be honest. Thank you for sharing!

5 Likes