Faster abilities

A feature I’d like to see in Hopscotch is:

An option to make a custom rainbow block, or maybe even any block containing other blocks, run completely before anything after it is run. It would also have to not wait a whole frame between blocks in the ability.

I’d use it for this type of project:

Projects where I want to check if some variable which could, for example, include a game board where I want to find if any row or column or diagonal or whatever is fully taken up. As far as I know, the easiest way to do that uses repeat blocks, which could really slow down the game if, for example, you have an ai that checks every possibility to find the best one.

Here are some examples of Hopscotch code that could be improved if we had this:

Finding if someone has won in a tic tac toe game

Here is an example design I’ve made:

I’ve seen something similar in another programming languages, it looks like this:

I think this works similarly to what I want.

19 Likes

interesting

3 Likes

Very much epic much so epic cool.

4 Likes

so basically it would be rainbow blocks take 0 frames to execute?

3 Likes

interesting

3 Likes

interesting chain

3 Likes

I never would’ve thought of this. I think I’ve seen it in Scratch tho.

4 Likes

Sort of, closer to 1. It would treat the whole thing as a single block and not wait a frame for the blocks inside.

6 Likes

the screenshot is Scratch lol

3 Likes

so everything inside the ability would take 1 frame combined?

4 Likes

Oh yeah lol

2 Likes

Is scratch a language

2 Likes

based on what Scratch says yes

2 Likes

No.
Drag and drop coding “languages” aren’t real languages.

2 Likes

The OG looks very similar (except for the run without screen refresh box) to myBlocks for vexCODE.

2 Likes

Yes this cool

1 Like

Yea I indeed need this
Imagine instant trail arts and pixel arts

1 Like

Some blocks are not executed in the same frame for a good reason. If it was, then some of the pixels may be placed in weird spots, or the trail may not draw correctly.

2 Likes

I have seen that quite often if I set an object’s speed to like 9999999999999 then it acts differently

1 Like

Interesting idea! This would be pretty cool to have, and I really like the features that the provided screenshot suggests.

2 Likes