Excuse me but what is beta?

Excuse me but what is beta? :confused:

From,
Silverstream

Hopscotch beta is when you can be a beta tester and test updates that haven't been shown to the world yet. Pretty much, you email the hopscotch team saying you want to be a beta tester, then they will give you a link to sign up, once you're signed up, when the next round of beta testing comes, you will get an email from the hopscotch team about being a beta tester, what to do as one, and they will give you a link to the hopscotch beta app. Remember, every sentence of the email can be important, especially if it's your first time being a beta tester, the email may seem long, but READ IT! It's very important. Happy beta testing!

I don't get it

From,
Silverstream

Ummm, I don't know what you don't get. @t1_hopscotch I think told me what beta is. Maybe they can help you? I really don't know what you want from me.

I mean I still don't get the meaning of beta.:confused:
From,
Silverstream

Hmmmm, well, I'd put it as....update I guess?!? I don't know how to describe it.

Hi @silverstream! I asked the same question to about what a beta tester is. I have invited you to that topic. Just a tip for next time, search the key word/phrase of your question next time. I hope that this helps you! :cat::yum:

Everyone else described it well already, but if you want the literal definition, here:

Yep that's the definition of beta testing. The word "beta" comes from the Greek alphabet. The first letter of the Greek alphabet is "alpha" and the second letter of the Greek alphabet is "beta".

When software or game developers first make an early version of a program or game, they often call it "alpha" after the first letter of the Greek alphabet. Once they add onto it and it's closer to completion, they call the second version "beta" after the second letter of the Greek alphabet.

So beta-testing is helping to test that version which is close to completion but not quite ready yet for release :smile: