Emojis Broken ⁣⁣⁣⁣

This happens on all player versions to different degrees

The issue (screenshots)

This (HS play page):

should be (my play page):

Player Code

This code in the player is broken; it returns a 404 when trying to get the resource:

emoji.basePath = "/assets"

This is what it should be

emoji.basePath = "https://d2j12ek52gvmx9.cloudfront.net/emojis/" /*AE_MOD - fix emojis "/assets"*/;

Why?
Because projects should look render images the same.

Importance

I don’t want Minigames looking like picture 1 on Windows. Same goes for when E-Pad and any other project when it comes out – emojis should work properly.

EDIT (yes, before posting)

It seems to occur with only some emojis on certain player versions:

Player differences

All of these emojis exist in iOS 10.2, and none of them render in player version 1.0.x

All of these emojis exist in iOS 10.2, and some of them render in player version 1.2.x

The ones that do render (1.2.x, some emojis that exist) grab it from the correct source (https://d2j12ek52gvmx9.cloudfront.net/emojis/), and the ones that don’t try to grab it from https://c.gethopscotch.com/assets. All emojis exist – why not just default to the cloudfront source?

My fix that should be applied

My player can be found here (this is 1.2.x, but it makes no difference).

Ctrl + F / find on page AE_MOD - fix emoji to locate the exact line.

The exact replacement is in the “Player Code” folder.

Should just be a tiny fix like I did to get emojis working in the player.

@AwesomeOnion @Nazari

13 Likes

Yeah, I’ve noticed this bug before, especially on the :arrow_backward::arrow_forward: Emojis.

8 Likes

Yup, same. But I didn’t realize that some emojis are broken on all player versions.

And all that don’t exist in iOS 10.2, but that’s because the host is based on 10.2’s emojis. The bug is the even some of those are missing.

7 Likes

Huh. Originally I though it was just my device or iOS version, (before seeing this topic) but the issue persisted through updates, confusing me more

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s a really weird issue. Player version 1.2.x handles emojis the best, and I think all of the other ones have them all broken. (I can check soon and confirm)

5 Likes

Correction: 1.2.x and above = half broken, 1.1.x and below = fully broken

5 Likes

6 Likes

I have no idea why it started looking like emojis as they appear on a Microsoft computer.

7 Likes

Broken means it does not load the iOS emoji image but instead loads whatever your operating system has (Windows 10 for me in that case).

It should load the same one to avoid this inconsistency

7 Likes

I have noticed this too. It would be nice if it could be fixed for sure! Is this already fixed in your player?

6 Likes

Everything on the correct emoji image server shows up in my player. (All emojis in iOS 10.2)

5 Likes

Amazing.

4 Likes

Is this in the app or on the web? Good catch!

9 Likes

This is on the web – some emojis are still missing for newer players, and the link is completely broken for the older players.

6 Likes

Hmm, this issue was a little more than I expected at first – some emojis don’t even try to load an image.

3 Likes

That’s just strange.

2 Likes

You pointed this out earlier, so I checked the code again. Something about those emojis, I think the fact that they are one character as opposed to 2 (yeah, it’s a little complicated), makes them not draw the texture properly or something like that.

4 Likes

Huh

Explains the weird half rendering stuff I saw.

2 Likes

bump

I thought this only happened on the webplayer, but I’ll test it with an old device

2 Likes