“Editing project” label obscures objects [Open]

HS Version: 3.38.0

Problem Description:
The new label at the top of the editor prevents users from accessing objects that are located under the label.

Commentary:
Is the label really necessary? I assume it’s an attempt to help new users, but isn’t it obvious that you’re editing the project? Seems to just add unnecessary clutter to me.

@Ana @AwesomeOnion

19 Likes

Yeah I agree with the commentary. Either way they probably should fix that at least. Maybe also resize or relocate like William said.

14 Likes

I see what you mean here. I think relocating the label or decreasing its size would be a good idea.

10 Likes

Luckily I am still on 3.37.0

I really don’t like the look of that either.

4 Likes

Yeah, the “editing project label” is kind of annoying.

6 Likes

I whole heartedly agree.

It would be nice to have it reduced in size or removed completely.

6 Likes

I don’t have that label? I’ve noticed others did but I’m assuming it’s a non-beta editor thing?

5 Likes

Weird, when I turn off the beta editor I still have that label…

4 Likes

iPhones don’t have it

4 Likes

Thought so

4 Likes

I agree.
Maybe when you go back into the editor from the play screen or enter the editor, the label could appear, then fade out?

5 Likes

Agreed. It seems unnecessary, especially if you’re editing the project! lol

6 Likes

Yes! My complaint has been voiced!

and agreed with apparently…

5 Likes

Thanks for this. We can certainly fix objects being unable to be tapped when they are underneath the label–that’s not right!
As for removing it entirely, that’s something we can consider. Part of the reason we added it is actually for cases where your objects are really big and covering the stage. It became difficult to tell whether you are playing or editing, even if you are experienced with Hopscotch!

In general, we’ve noticed that telling the difference between playing and editing is one of the biggest challenges in Hopscotch for new users.

7 Likes

Then maybe next to the play/done and sounds buttons you can have a small menu of sorts that’ll let you know what you’re in? You’d be able to see what you’re in (editor/player) and have options for things like enabling or disabling the beta editor for that specific project if applicable and enabling sons to grid etc.

It’d be a small thing that further increases the personization of the app and people can adjust their project settings to their personal preferences

7 Likes

Usually I’d think that the play button being a different color is pretty sufficient.

In E-Pad, the stage is pretty covered, but it looks nothing like this when playing. It might be just me, but I’m kinda struggling to see how there would be confusion.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Counter example:

But also, isn’t that why characters used to just be an outline?

4 Likes

I agree. It’s annoying, obscures objects, and generally an inconvenience (to me anyways). I can see how it can help new coders though. Without it I can see them saying, “What is this? Where am I? What do I do?” With it I can hear, “Oh, okay. So this is the editor for like the coding thing?” I think that there should be an ability to disable it, that would make it a lot more convenient.

5 Likes

Yeah definitely, I agree.
and that plays into the whole project settings idea, which is pretty popular

7 Likes