Drawing Pad X v4 Updates

Quick question @Good-Es – if you were using an art pad, how long would your longest stroke be? Stroke = the sequence from first touching the screen all the way until you lift. Basically, how long would you keep your finger pressing the screen for?

(Currently the limit I’m thinking in terms of storing the stroke is about 2.5 minutes. I don’t see anyone taking that long for one stroke, but I’m curious on what your thoughts are?)

16 Likes

i think you went to far lol
max 30 sec for me

9 Likes

Cool. It’s really just a matter of how many digits to store when telling the drawing pad how long a stroke is. The next shortest option would be ten times less, so about 15 seconds, and I think that could be pretty limiting.

6 Likes

When I’m drawing digitally, I usually make pretty quick strokes (20 seconds max, although even that’s unusual for me).

3 Likes

30 seconds, but some people may do some longer. probably 1 minute

4 Likes

Multiplayer games really are something, I tell you. When I first did the soccer balls experiment, it was the same thing. I love seeing multiplayer in action, and hopefully this is the start of something big

Cool, sounds good

Sounds good

I think 2.5 minutes is the right amount then, since the next shorter time limit would be 15 seconds (which also means if the project runs at 120FPS, say, on a high refresh rate screen, it will be 1.25 minutes)

7 Likes

Update: redrawing layers works

5 Likes

A couple of updates today:

• There’s a little bit of weirdness with the secret feature, but I’ve got it working in both places where it should work, and the effects are being combined.
  • What’s funny is I still haven’t made a way for the user to pick a color… and the next feature I’ll do is probably gonna be undo/redo (so still not color picking…)
  • updated OP with initial feature checklist. The structure of this list will gradually change to adapt to the new Drawing Pad’s organization
  • Here’s the UI so far, there’s a couple things I’ve tweaked already but yeah – general layout:

The little triangle next to L0 is the “redraw layers button”. It changes color when you draw on a layer that’s under another layer that has data so you know when there’s recalculations that can be made.

Open to questions with the exception of asking what the secret feature is :)

@Good-Es

• Tag me for updates!

0 voters

10 Likes

I am in the poll, my pfp is just invisible.

4 Likes

Small update: undo is working
(Usually I’ll tag the update group when I have a set of features complete)

5 Likes
  1. Undo/redo is working – still have a few small changes but largely done

2. Question: Would you find it helpful if you could delete one stroke from the layer permanently WITHOUT it having to be the last stroke? (Meaning, if you drew a 1 in one stroke, then a 2, then a 3, you could remove only the 2)

How much do you want this?

0 voters

1. Currently, I have it so that when you press undo, it doesn’t redraw the whole layer. What I’m thinking of doing is showing an indication of which stroke was affected, but wait until the user wants to redraw their stroke so that you don’t have to wait for the whole thing to redraw every time you want to undo a stroke (sometimes you’d want to undo several at once). Thoughts?

0 voters

NOTE: This poll’s title is supposed to be: “How much would you prefer this behavior to having the whole thing redraw every time you undo?”

1. Thinking about the ability to hide layers so you can focus on one at a time.

0 voters

1. Also thinking about the ability to reorder layers

0 voters

Tags from poll

@DaughterOfHecate
@Bobinny
@CreativePenguin
@Liquid
@Mouldycheese8
@C.H.Rissole
@RoadOcean
@Dragongirl1264
@Tri-Angle
@Innerpanda
@Dolphin_Blast
@TB23

7 Likes

I do not even know how that can be possible. because every time you switched layers you would have to redraw when drawing

4 Likes

For most, if not all, of these actions, it just shows you an indication that the trails you see aren’t accurate to what the layers show, and that you’ll need to redraw them to display properly.

So yeah that’s true, but if you want to focus on one without distraction, I think it could still be worth it

5 Likes

Update: A weird behavior was causing the both smooth and regular pen to draw at 30 FPS. This bug has been fixed… in probably the weirdest way imaginable

uhh, yeah, that works.

6 Likes

Draw a trail runs at 30 fps max with no edits- really weird solution, but I guess you draw a nothing and draw a something?

3 Likes

Basically when you enter the trail block, it puts the pen down (starts trail), and when you exit, it lifts the pen up (stops trail). So I wait until the screen is no longer pressed to release, but I set position every frame

5 Likes

I like seeing this in progress:)

5 Likes

@Awesome_E any progress

1 Like

Ahem

Any updates?

1 Like

try not to bump topics with autoclose timers :)) you could ask questions like this in ytaco, so that it autocloses if no. for example with this, in the ytaco, you could ask:
hey @/awesome_e, i saw your update topic for drawing pad x, and it hadnt been used for a while but it had an autoclose timer. should i leave it or are you updating it?
hope this helps

5 Likes