Drawing Pad X v4 Updates

Drawing Pad X v4 Updates

This is the official project updates topic for the redesign (v4) of Drawing Pad X.

Current Version (3.0)

Post Formatting Key

Feature is complete
Not started yet
In progress
⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ Subtask of the above feature
⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ Newly added to this post
Removing from list soon because it’s no longer needed

Feature Checklist

Symmetry

Use the built-in custom rule (modified, of course) to mirror drawings
Instead of 3 preset settings, you could specify the number of symmetry axes like in the app, as well as the angle of reference (like, mirror horizontally? vertically? at 45 degrees? etc.)
Add reference lines that show up while you’re adjusting the rotation so you can see the mirroring axis

Popup Menu:
Change mirror axis coordinates (text in menu, draggable circle at center)
Tap coordinates to show prompt to set exact X & Y
Slider for number of mirroring axes (same as toolbar slider)
Indicator text for angle (draggable circle on axes, tap to show prompt)
Mirroring toggle (same as toolbar toggle)

Stroke (Width)

Keep mostly the same, except maybe replace the framerate with the saved pen width, then make the other number just the eraser width
⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ Remove framerate on toolbar
Move the help button to a different section that fits better (removed from stroke width controls)
Remove the cursor option, because you don’t really need to see where the cursor is when drawing
Show reference dot to show pen size while adjusting it

Popup Menu:
Show saved pen width
Save and restore pen width
Show saved eraser width
Save and restore eraser width

Pen Selection

Keep “View” and “Erase”
View, Eraser, and Recent Pen in toolbar
Make eraser work with undo/redo
Make viewing mode work

Popup Menu:
Add pen selection inside the popup menu
Include different pen tools (ISNBN pen, special pen (secret), standard pen, etc.)

Color Picker

When changing color, add it to recents on toolbar
(consideration) HEX input button on toolbar?

Popup Menu:

Add color picker
Add HSB and RGB sliders
Make it so tapping HSB/RGB numbers prompts user input
Allow hex color input
Display current color hex
Save colors inside menu
Change save icons a little so they aren’t broken in non-webkit browsers

Layers

Layering (might have seed purchase for extra amount of layers, likely 2, maybe 3, for free)

Popup Menu:
Display layer names
Ability to hide layer

Interface

Fill uses set background
Theme sets theme based on pen color, not save slot 1
Clear doesn’t reset the background (automatic change as a result of fill using set bg)

Undo/Redo

Undo/redo capability
⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ Storing string length
⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ Reading string & restoring (undo)
⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ Reading string & restoring (redo)
⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ Keep last drawn index (redo doesn’t always need redraw)
⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ Possibility: Ability to delete one stroke

Other

The secret feature

Start of Discussion

I won’t say the headlining feature since it hasn’t really been done before in any art pad in HS, but what I will say is I know how to do layers and restoring like Petrichor’s art pad, and possibly undo/redo as well but that’s a bit more tricky than the other things.

Edit 8/20: Undo is working, redo is much easier to implement

11 Likes

For me, the layers and undo/redo are a big part of what makes using digital pads so much more convenient. These will be great to have, along with whatever that top secret addition is :eyes:

4 Likes

Petrichor’s undo and redo is cool. It clears then redraws from a string. I think that would be helpful for layers

3 Likes

Yeah, layers I think are really easy to add, but for undo/redo I still need to figure out how that would work in terms of storing it. And I think you will really appreciate the secret thing

Yeah I think I can replicate that without needing to look at his code

3 Likes

it’s the opposite for me lol

for undo/redo:
undo one part of the string then redraw everything with an automatic drawer

2 Likes

Yeah but the length of each operation is different. I know how to perform the action but I don’t know (yet) how to store and read it

3 Likes

why would it be? /gq

2 Likes

I’m thinking of storing each press as one operation, so from the time pressed to the time released – all movements in that time frame = one operation. For example, if I draw a line, it’s less data stored than if I draw a square, and they’re both one stroke

3 Likes

@TB23 @Good-Es what would you change (add/remove/etc.) about this? I have some thoughts, wondering if you (or anyone else who wants to chime in) agree/disagree/have additional opinions from what I think:

Mirroring

• Use the built-in custom rule (modified, of course) to mirror drawings
  • Instead of 3 preset settings, you could specify the number of symmetry axes like in the app, as well as the angle of reference (like, mirror horizontally? vertically? at 45 degrees? etc.)

Dilation/auto-changing things

• Maybe keep, maybe discard, but it’s an easy way to add a little texture
  • If keep, improve it by setting a percentage or amount threshold of how much to auto-change the width or color values by

Width

• Keep mostly the same, except maybe replace the framerate with the saved pen width, then make the other number just the eraser width
  • Move the help button to a different section that fits better
  • Remove the cursor option, because you don’t really need to see where the cursor is when drawing

Stickers

• Keep almost exactly how it is (open to emoji changes though)
    (You can already drag, resize, rotate, and flip them)

Drawing Tools

• Keep “View” and “Erase”
  • Turn this into something like a 2x2, 3x2, or even 3x3 grid
  • Include different pen tools (ISNBN pen, special pen (secret), standard pen, etc.)

Screen Tools

• Fill uses set background
  • Theme sets theme based on pen color, not save slot 1
  • Clear doesn’t reset the background (automatic change as a result of fill using set bg)

Save Slots

• Change the icons a little so they aren’t broken in Chrome browsers
  • Keep everything else the same (save, set, delete, and resize section)

Color Pallet

• Keep it as is

Color sliders

• Keep HSB and RGB actions
  • Add option for users to input HEX colors

Toolbars

• Retain a lot of stuff, probably?
  • Probably remove the sound thing

Additions

• Layering (might have seed purchase for extra amount of layers, likely 2, maybe 3, for free)
  • Undo/redo capability
  • The secret feature (only because it works so well and hasn’t been done before the way I’m doing it, this might cost seeds)

Anything that exists in other drawing pads, such as basic layering support (exception for high number of layers), undo/redo, expandable color saves, etc. will be free because I’m not going to purposely restrict something that’s already been done before. Only additional features that no other art pad has done to the same degree are subject to being a seed purchase.

15 Likes

if i drew on hs i wouldnt care too much for stickers so if anything would be removed id choose them

i definitely think more pens would be good—maybe saved pen slots where you can have a specific pen/width saved?

4 Likes

Please make arrows to close certain parts of the menu, not the whole side but like an arrow to close the mirror tools, one for the auto-change section, etc.

Also this looks like a nightmare on phone to use so maybe make it easier on phone somehow? (If you can lol)

2 Likes

That already exists in the current version (you tap the icons on the bottom toolbar, but it’s not super intuitive – that can definitely get an upgrade)

Don’t know how I’d do that, but I’ll keep that in mind

1 Like

Ok thanks for the response!

1 Like

how did you add all of that within like 2 hours-

2 Likes

I didn’t, that’s the existing version.

5 Likes

Wow, that is still really impressive! it would be unimaginable to do that in 2 hours

2 Likes

ok

i’d remove sticker and toolbar (completely useless imo, sorry)
edit: ah and autochange too
edit2: view draw buttons because you can now close the bars

and make the two bars can close and open

2 Likes

edit history

2 Likes

Thanks!

hah, yeah. That one took me 2 weeks to code after remixing from a previous version.

Makes sense, I don’t really see much use for it but the extent at which it works was still pretty cool

Toolbar lets you hide and show those things, and you can drag them around. I wonder if it would be better to have one centralized place for everything (i.e. bottom of screen), or if you prefer seeing everything at once

I don’t like auto-change in its current state but I think there is potential because changing the color or width slightly (like, 10x less than current) can help add detail/texture to something

??

Well yes, but actually no. since [those] have already been done, that wouldn’t be the new feature (because it could cost seeds and hasn’t been done before)

2 Likes

well edit history works better i think

if yes im already working on that :P

asking just bc im curious lol

1 Like