Dear Hopscotch Team

Introduction

I’m not going to lie, I’m no veteran. But as a Hopscotch user, I’ve seen many parts of the community, old and new. While the community hasn’t changed in every way, it’s changed a lot, and mostly in a negative way. While I have observed some positive changes, the negative changes are overwhelming.

The reason that most of these negative changes within the community are occurring is because of how you’re treating the app and the community. I’m writing this hoping that not only will you listen, but that you’ll also improve.

Games on Hopscotch

Miscategorization

In the past, Hopscotch has had tons of games. Sometimes they’re long, and sometimes they’re short. Sometimes they’re simple, and sometimes they’re complex. You’ve even allowed projects that aren’t games, however, that’s not the problem.

As you know, Hopscotch has its own games tab that anyone can access. However, people tend to put their projects that aren’t games into the games tab. In fact, they tend to put them into any tab they possibly can. I consider this unacceptable, but this is another thing you’ve allowed over the years. You’ve done virtually nothing to resolve it, and a big chunk of the community considers it an issue.

It would be so much better if there were a system in place to make sure that the games tab would include games only. I’m not saying that it should be limited to individual project curation; don’t do that. However, it would be nice if the tab were more heavily moderated, or if the projects that went into there had to be approved (not curated), or any other system that would help stop miscategorization. This could apply to other tabs, too, although I think that the games tab should receive the highest priority, considering Hopscotch is meant for games.

One idea that I’ve thought of is that the individual users should have to submit a request before they would be able to post projects in the games tab. A user would be able to submit a request through the app, and comments would be optional. Once the user has been approved, they could post as many games into the games tab as they wish, however, if they ever started posting content besides games in the games tab, they would be warned. If they proceeded to post content besides games within the games tab within six weeks of being warned, their ability to post content in the games tab would be revoked, and they would have to submit another request in order to regain it, in which their best bet would be to submit it months later. If a user just isn’t approved, they could always try again. Ex-SDP members would automatically gain this ability, along with forum leaders, staff members, and so on.

Paywall

You’re locking pre-existing things that were previously free behind a paywall. A few months ago, you made scenes free, and in terms of business, that was pretty brave, and I’m glad you did it. Then, you proceeded to lock creating drafts and publishing projects behind a paywall for app users, rendering the Free Scenes bit useless to new users. I know that older, non-subscribed accounts can still create projects, but the fact that newer ones can’t is ridiculous. People should be able to access basic features of Hopscotch for free, and creating projects should be one of them.

By disallowing newer users to create projects without subscribing, you’re disallowing the community to see the work of newer users who won’t or can’t subscribe. What if there’s someone on Hopscotch who doesn’t know about the Web Explorer, so they go onto random projects to open the editor, remove all the objects, and create an absolutely mindblowing project? Then, every time they do so, they have to abandon their hard work, as they can’t save it nor publish it. If this paywall weren’t there, then they wouldn’t have to open a random project to do this.

I’m not saying you should get rid of the subscription entirely. As a business, you need to make money somehow, and that makes sense. But if a feature already existed for free, you shouldn’t make it a paid feature, even if it’s just for newer users. Not only is it bad in moral terms, it’s also a bad business strategy; sure, there’s a seven day trial, but even then, a newer user might be scared to accept the trial if they know they won’t be able to pay for it after it’s over, such as if they’re poor, or even just a kid whose parents won’t pay for it.

User Profiles

Users profiles are very limited. On most platforms, you get custom profile pictures for free, user descriptions, and some have a tab where the user can post stuff and other users can view the posts, and possibly even comment on them.

More user customization would be nice, as it would tell you much more about a user. Currently, the only way to do this is through a project, and it is really inconvenient. If we could set a user description, where the app would not let you set it if it were over 1,000 characters (this paragraph is half of that length) or so, that would be pretty nice. Additionally, I think that we should be able to customize our profile color. We can almost already do that, but a dedicated feature would be nice.

More user customization would allow users to express themselves within the app more, and I think that would be really interesting, along with a community tab for each user, as I mentioned earlier, similar to the ones seen on YouTube channels. Additionally, the Explore tab would have a new tab called “Community,” which would show the community posts of those who you are following. A user could post project updates and sneak peeks in their community tab, which would be really interesting.

Conclusion

Hopscotch has a great community, and that’s why I wrote this. I want to see the community thrive, not die, and that is a dream that we can reach. You’re the ones who created Hopscotch. Don’t be the ones to destroy it. So please, consider what I’ve written.

• Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

@0x7F

19 Likes

agree with everything besides the CoF section, I understand you want to communicate with awesome people on the forum in other places, but that rule’s there for us to stay safe.

these are a couple of scenarios that could occur without the rule of CoF

scenario #1

someone shares their discord information to another user and they start to interact on discord and other platforms. they could talk about anything without the worry of breaking the forum guidelines—besides CoF lol. they are being perfectly safe and not sharing personal information.

scenario #2

a creepy adult shares their discord to a child, on discord, the creepy adult asks for personal information of the kid. thinking it’s perfectly fine, the kid gives the information. something bad happens, and the parents ask “what happened” the kid says: “I met someone on Hopscotch and we started talking together on discord”

THT gets in serious trouble

please keep in mind that the second scenario is very rare to happen, and THT’s main reason to prohibit CoF is for younger people’s safety, not so they don’t get sued or something.

@000, can you add a neutral and mostly and almost options to the poll?

12 Likes

I can’t change it after 15 minutes.

• Neutral

0 voters

9 Likes
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Mostly Agree
  • Almost Agree
  • Neutral

0 voters

how’s this?

8 Likes

So? CoF is allowed on many other forums. Also, just because someone talks to someone outside of the forum doesn’t mean it’s related to the forum or Hopscotch, they might want to talk outside of the forum so they can talk about other things.

No matter what happens, THT isn’t responsible for it. You can’t just sue a whole company because there was a criminal on their forum.

7 Likes

understandable—however, someone may be underage and the things they’re talking about may be unsafe

true haha, whereas, THT could be found responsible as they let people share information about other platforms where they could talk freely. this could result in PI sharing which could be traced back to THT and they could get in trouble for it

7 Likes

Again, any good lawyer could shut that court case down. In fact, there might not even be a court case against THT to begin with, even if that were to occur.

Okay, let’s try this.

I meet someone on a Minecraft server, let’s say Hypixel. If someone PMs me their Disco‭rd tag and I friend them, and they start sending me illegal content, why would Hypixel get in trouble? Even Disc‭ord should be legally fine, as it would be the individual who sent the illegal content who would be breaking the law.

6 Likes

I didn’t say it had to be Discor‭d. You have a point with the unsafe discussions, although anyone on this forum is also on the Internet. They can find unsafe content elsewhere on the Internet, and disallowing CoF here doesn’t change that.

7 Likes

Also, just to be clear. I’m not trying to fight, or argue, I’m just expressing that people, including you, might have concerns that are either unrealistic or too realistic (as in, they’re already everywhere; trying to stop it on the forum literally changes nothing).

7 Likes

also, the hsf is a coding forum—targeted for children, therefore those kind of things shouldn’t be allowed.

ok, that makes sense. you’re right, THT couldn’t get in a legal trouble, but it could still lead to parents giving hopscotch bad reviews due to lack of safety. this could also impact the amount of people using hopscotch and may affect their targeted user group. this would also make hopscotch more of a social media platform.

yes me as well, I understand you’re not trying to argue.

7 Likes

That’s true, although I’m not saying it has to be allowed everywhere. Maybe it shouldn’t be allowed to be posted in a space for everyone to see.
But here’s the thing. There are older people on this forum, and they should have a right to be able to talk to others outside of the forum. The CoF bit was me trying to express that there should be some kind of way for us to do so.

6 Likes

Maybe there could be a system where both parties could ask a leader, and if the leader approved of it, they’d open a PM where they could send contact information.

7 Likes

I understand that, but if the older users want a more social media-like platform, the hsf isn’t a place for that. it’s a place for coders to learn, grow collaborate and to socialize (coding related)

this is a good idea, with a disclaimer that it isn’t moderated, and they encourage them to be safe—although it’s their decision

6 Likes

It might be slightly annoying as you’d have to ask a leader every time you wanted to give someone contact information, but it would still be a good thing.

6 Likes

SEPARATE POLLS

Introduction
  • Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

Games on Hopscotch
  • Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

Games on Hopscotch / Miscategorization (Agree = You think it’s bad; you agree with the points I made)
  • Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

Games on Hopscotch / Paywall (Agree = You think it’s bad; you agree with the points I made)
  • Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

User Profiles
  • Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

CoF
  • Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

CoA
  • Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

4 Likes

maybe tag leads to add it into the OP and replace the original one? if you want lol

1 Like

@Leaders could you please remove the original poll from the OP and add this one?
Thank you.

2 Likes

I edited the poll names for Miscategorization and Paywall, so you might need to revote if it removed your vote.

2 Likes

Also, instead of having a topic for CoF, what is your opinion on this?

• Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

NOTE:

4 Likes

I think that CoF is generally an unsafe idea, but if it’s implemented, that’s probably the safest way

2 Likes