Custom blocks with inputs

A feature I’d like to see in Hopscotch is:

Custom blocks with inputs

I’d use it for this type of project:

I’m not too sure of what it could specifically be used for, but I know that it would be really helpful sometimes.

Here are some examples of Hopscotch code that could be improved if we had this:

If we wanted to quickly use custom blocks in different objects that use different text value or something, it could easily be changed.

Here is an example design I’ve made:

I’ve seen something similar in another programming languages, it looks like this:

In JS, you can type smth like this:
function returnNum(n) {
if (n.typeOf = integer) {
return n;
}
}
(pls don’t correct me on the of statement I’ve never used typeOf and don’t know how it works. I was just guessing)

12 Likes

This is useful but why couldn’t you just name your custom block “abcd” instead of the variable?

5 Likes

Wdym?

3 Likes

You can name custom blocks however you want, so I don’t see the point of adding the variable instead of a name, except maybe for less clutter

3 Likes

The variable is representing a parameter for the custom ability.
Edit: parameter is a fancy word for input.

6 Likes

Yes, but you can do the exact same setup you did without adding the variable to the custom block.
I’d add a photo if I could but I’m still in basic :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It would be easier, and for when you need to have multiple objects do the same thing in a custom block, but need to have different text/color/size/etc, this would be really helpful.

2 Likes

Ooh! I like that!

4 Likes

Its a great idea

3 Likes

This is actually already on the Hopscotch roadmap, but nonetheless a feature I’d like to see.

3 Likes

Nice idea, although I can see this being confusing for newer hops.

1 Like