Constructive feedback wanted for the Hopscotch beta

beta_testers
feedback
beta

Hi Hopscotchers,

I see that a lot of you don't really like the new update. I'm sorry about that!

I know it doesn't feel like it, but a lot of the decisions we made were with you guys in mind. A goal we had was to make it easier to make really big complicated projects, on the iPhone AND iPad.

Some of the things we did specifically for to improve your coding experience:
- Waaay faster to open complex projects. Try opening one of the abilities in 2048 on the beta version vs. the one in the app store
- All the code in one place so you can easily jump between objects and rules.
- Copy and paste so you can reuse blocks between your objects and rules.
- Easy to jump to the conditional rules rather than having to scroll all the way to the bottom.
- Tabs on the keyboard for all types of blocks so you can easily jump to the section you're looking for.
- You can close up blocks like "repeat" and "if" so that they can more easily be moved around.
- You can tap on any object in the preview stage to jump to it in the editor.
- Set the cursor to decide where to add blocks.
- Automatically advance to the next parameter once you press the check mark.
- HSB and RGB blocks so you can make your own colors.

Now that being said- we sent out the beta now so that we would have time for feedback. We can't go back to the old interface, but we do still want to hear from you so we can incorporate your ideas to make the new one better.

Specifically: is there any coding action you could easily do in the old version that is now really hard in the new beta?
Is there something you tried to make in the new beta that was was harder to do than you expected? And as always, if you find any bugs, please let us know!

And remember, we are people just like you, and it hurts our feelings when you say mean things about the team and the app. Think of how you'd feel if someone told you the game you spent months working on was ■■■■■■. That's what it's like when you say mean things about the update.

Thanks for listening,
Samantha (aka AwesomeOnion)

Expressing our opinions about the update in a kind way
Opinions and stuff

I agree!

For people that don't, imagine spending hours on a project and getting an F.

The HT worked SUPER hard on this and they at least would like some compliments! Keep the critism to a minimum. :slight_smile:

Instead of saying what you hate, say what you dislike and an alternative idea in a nice way!

But can't you just switch with abilities instead of copying and pasting?

The difference is that now you can copy whole rules or whole objects!

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Also, you forgot to add in that another thing in the new beta, you can do Hopscotch in portrait mode! :wink:

You can copy a whole object? How? I'm not sure :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
But I like the portrait mode. I'm getting used to using my mini iPad in portrait mode and it's easier for me to see complex code lines that are long.

How could I get the beta? I want to try it out, but I don't know how to get the latest version!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Will you guys ever make a computer and android version?

I know the android version was asked a lot, but a computer version would be awesome! Some people don't have iPads or iPhones and they use computers a lot! A computer version would be awesome! Also, an android version would help hopscotchers that have a school iPad and no iPhones! Most people on hopscotch are leaving for the summer because of that!
@staff
@awesomeonion

I think one of the problems is that it would be confusing to swipe through all of those objects in a complex game to get to a certain one.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

How could I get the beta? I want to try it out, but I don't know how to get the latest version!

Anybody?

I need help people XD

I gotta agree with @Intellection74 with this one. I rely a lot on moving the objects, and then changing the color, size, and other stuff in my shape art.

Look at my Undertale Logo project. You'll see a lot of confusing looking squares XD. I made that easily by moving them to a place close to it, then moving it in the rule. If we see all the shapes in one menu, it'd be very hard to distinguish. I like the idea of accessing the preview a different way and/or tapping a shape to open the rule.

I think the main problem is not that is update is bad, but that it is so drastically different from the old editor. We are having to throw away almost everything we know about making projects and relearning the Hopscotch editor from 0. That is the reason why you see so many of the more veteran hopscotchers complaining, but not the newer ones. The new editor is very intuitive, it's just very different. And it's going to take a long time for us to get used to it. Imagine if suddenly Apple only supported building apps in python. It would be such a big change, and even though python is a really easy to use language, apple would still get a lot of hate .

Hopscotch feels like a completely new app now, and good or bad is being overshadowed by 'new', if that makes any sense :P.

I'm not going to give any actual feedback on the new editor until I have the latest beta so I can give up to date answers, do you know how I can update the beta? (Kinda new to this xD)

I think it's fine, but I don't know how to update my beta I got from the iPhone version beta testing—how do I update it?

I love the new update! :smile:

The copy & paste thing is just amazing. I find it super helpful, and it makes coding on Hopscotch a lot easier. I'm very glad it's there now!

I've been coding a lot recently on the iPhone, and I find how you can close the "repeat" blocks and "if" blocks really awesome. It makes it much easier to see everything in your code, rather than scrolling a lot.

The new editor is what lots of Hopscotchers dislike. I find that the best part about the update. You can still move objects to where you want it, it's just a different way to do that. I really like how you have all your code right in front of you, so you can change something easily without having to find the object throughout the screen. A lot in the editor changed, and I think it's a good change. Coding with this editor is going to be easier than ever.

The only thing that is going to be hard is getting used to all of this change. I feel already comfortable with it, it's really not a problem for me. I'm thinking others Hopscotchers just might take a longer time to adjust to this new update, since it's so different.

Over all, I really like this new update and how THT is thinking. You guys are making coding even more easier and fun, and I appreciate it a lot! :smiley:

Just download it again from the link.

I'm not even a year old on Hopscotch, but it's so different from what I'm "used to" XD.

I promise it's not totally different- the blocks still work the same! But I get that a new interface will take a lot of getting used to.

If you've gotten a beta link before it's still the same URL you can use to download it. If you haven't you can email hello@gethopscotch.com and request to be a beta tester.

Ok, thanks! I'm not a beta tester, and I can't email. :confused:

@awesomeonion, you guys need a hug.

*gives hug*

Pass it around :P