Common Ground Competition 🕊

This event/competition/challenge is started by me (@sophia) and all the currencies, rewards, and prizes are handled by me, not Hopscotch. You can find other similar self-started events in the latest #competitions-and-events or #shops-and-requests topics, or even start one yourself. Because this is started by me, Hopscotch and the forum leaders are not involved or responsible in any of the transactions here

Welcome, all, to the Common Ground Competition!

In today’s world, there are so many heated debates: left versus right, Marvel versus DC, math versus grammar. The list goes on, and sadly, people often let these issues stand in between their relationships. Is it possible that two people with completely different beliefs could still be friends who respect and love each other? I believe the answer is yes, and I think this positive message needs spread.

🧠 Inspiration 🧠

“Did you hear of the city on the hill
Said one old man to the other
It once shined bright, and it would be shining still
But they all started turning on each other
You see the poets thought the dancers were shallow
And the soldiers thought the poets were weak
And the elders saw the young ones as foolish
And the rich man never heard the poor man speak
But one by one, they ran away
With their made up minds to leave it all behind
And the light began to fade
In the City on the Hill, the City on the Hill
Each one thought that they knew better
But they were different by design
Instead of standing strong together
They let their differences divide
[ . . . ]
But it was the rhythm of the dancers
That gave the poets life
It was the spirit of the poets
That gave the soldiers strength to fight
It was fire of the young ones
It was the wisdom of the old
It was the story of the poor man
That needed to be told”
-Casting Crowns, ‘City on the Hill’

To start on this hopefully wonderful journey of a competition, I suggest a quick brainstorming session. Pick out some random person, real or imaginary, and ask yourself the following questions:
• What does the other person believe that I do not?
• What do I believe that the other person does not?
• What is our common ground? (On what do we both agree?)

🎮 Challenge 🎮

Main Challenge:

Your mission is to create a project in Hopscotch about some type of “common ground.”

For example, maybe I believe that uncooked spaghetti is best, but my friend believes that spaghetti should be cooked. We can still be friends though, because we both believe that garlic bread is good with spaghetti. Therefore, I would code a project about garlic bread.

Maybe that is a very silly example, but hopefully it helps you understand. Simply code something on which both you and those very different from you can agree. Your project could be as direct as a pretty background with words saying, “True beauty comes from within,” to something as creative as a trail art of a rainbow because both you and others agree that rainbows are beautiful.

Side Challenges:

Write a thoughtful post in the Make Someone Smile topic.

If possible, choose a person with whom you do not 100% agree (which could be anyone) and compliment that person on all the things that you think are amazing about them. Maybe you respect them for standing up for their beliefs, even if you don’t agree with them. Please link your post here so that I can see!

Find an educational project on Hopscotch.

Even if we do not agree, it is easier to find common ground if we seek to understand the views of others. Go out and search on Hopscotch for projects about something you would like to know a little more about. Maybe you don’t quite understand a holiday some people celebrate or the meaning behind a hashtag in someone’s username. If you need help finding an educational project, let me know! Then, tell me what topic you learned about; you do not have to tell me what you learned.
Just remember, these projects are great as a way to inform, but try to steer clear of discussions on the forum. This can cause a lot of off-topic posts. For more about the differences between educating, advocating, and invalidating, check out this awesome post by Serenity.

📈 Rubric 📈

I will assemble a small team of judges personally who will assign each project a score based on the following rubric:

Theme (5 possible points)-how well the project adheres to the theme of the competition; whether or not the project presents some sort of common ground
Code (5 possible points)-how well the project is coded (no project is perfect, but if the project is completely broken, it will lose some points)
Design (5 possible points)-how visually appealing the project is, how creatively the project communicates the theme
Bonus (2 possible points)-one point for each completed side challenge

🏅 Prizes 🏅

Your greatest reward for this competition should be learning to respect those with whom you disagree and, in return, creating a more cooperative environment. However, listed below are some other prizes.

First Place:
10 seeds
Spamlikes on the forum and app
Shoutouts on the forum and app

Second Place:
Spamlikes on the forum and app

Third Place:

*All prizes are 100% transferable and, as mentioned above, are handled by me.

All challenges must be submitted by 2021-12-12T04:59:00Z.

Feel free to ask any questions!

@sophia71205sfmtl

20 Likes

No problem.lemme have a look

6 Likes

I poked a few people who may be interested in judging, but if any of y’all simply don’t have the time, would rather participate, or just don’t want to, that’s perfectly okay. Just lmk

6 Likes

Can I Judge???

7 Likes

I am hand requesting people to judge so that we have a variety of insight and judging styles, but if several people cannot due to lack of time or some other reason, I’ll definitely keep you in mind!

12 Likes

I prolly won’t have time to participate, but if I can help with anything else - judging, prizes, support, etc. - please feel free to lmk!

Edit: just saw the poke, i assume that means you’re asking me to judge? If so, 100% I’m up for it!

5 Likes

Indeed that’s what I meant. Great! Tysm

5 Likes

So can I make a turf wars projects?

4 Likes

As long as you some how highlight some unifying theme, be as creative as you want :))

4 Likes

awesome comp :))

and thanks for the poke, id be happy to judge for ya

6 Likes

can i be in the “waiting list” (kinda) of the judging ppl? I’m strict on giving a score because: :arrow_down:

that was a quote on a quote so it says it’s piper who wrote it but it’s wrong. Open this link to see my original post.
it’s 100% fine if you don’t want me

3 Likes

I love this idea! Thank you sophia, I think that we needed this :))

3 Likes

Ty, and sweet!

Sure! As of right now, all the people I asked to judge have said yes, but if someone has to back out, you’re on the list :))

Ty! Will you have time to participate? I’d love to see what you could come up with

5 Likes

I’m not sure, and I don’t want to commit to anything I won’t be able to do…

2 Likes

That’s perfectly okay!

2 Likes

Just wondering does something like “an apple is red” theme work? (I’m not going to do this theme. This is only an example)

1 Like

It depends. Yes, I think most of us agree that apples are red, but I’d prefer you pick something that could be applied to our everyday lives. It’s up to you though!

3 Likes

If any of y’all are struggling to figure out where to start, try out the little brainstorming exercise in the inspiration section. I intentionally made the prompt open-ended to leave room for creativity.

Here’s a little quote that really sums up the theme:

“Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.”
— Albus Dumbledore

5 Likes

Bump!

For those who haven’t read through the OP yet, I’d love for you to when you have time. The more people we have participate, the better.

Don’t forget there are smaller challenges as well that will give you bonus points!

3 Likes

What do you mean by points?

1 Like