Comment block should display full comment

A feature I’d like to see in Hopscotch is:

the comment block to display the full comment

I’d use it for this type of project:

Any large projects or collaborations with other coders

Here are some examples of Hopscotch code that could be improved if we had this:

Any project with large amounts of documentation

Here is an example design I’ve made: not this

I’ve seen something similar in another programming languages, it looks like this: i can’t imagine any other languages which hide the comment unless you click something to expand it

12 Likes

Well, most blocks are limited as to how far they can stretch before the text inside cannot show all at once, and none of the blocks (that I know of) can stretch in the vertical direction.

Cool idea, though…

9 Likes

i feel it would be worth breaking the continuation of how the blocks work, as scrolling and reading comments at a glance would be immensely helpful, regardless of it not fitting in.
cool idea frenchwave, i wholeheartedly agree!

9 Likes

I feel as if…will benefit everyone

10 Likes

Yes indeed…is much needed

9 Likes

Way easier than having to copy and paste the comment into the Notes app to view the whole comment.

This problem has always come up with long text. Before the Comment block, people have been using the Set Text block for comments. With the latest update, it’s about time expanding block text is added.

There are two places where we could make the text box bigger. The block and the typing line with the check mark. It think it would be useful if we could have a full screen typing functionality as well.

10 Likes

While an infinite length might cause both lag and weird app glitches, I think increasing the length for comments would definitely be useful! What if you could not only move the block up and down by dragging on it, but also make it expand when you drag it sideways to change the width?

9 Likes

(@EvilCoders)

Quick Fix: Use Varables (Lol)

4 Likes

Videos not loading for me

3 Likes

Same

2 Likes

Works fine for me?

1 Like

not for me

3 Likes

Video just loaded, while that does technically work, it requires creating a variable for every single comment which would severely clutter your workspace instead of cleaning it up making it completely counterintuitive

4 Likes

Local variables?

2 Likes

Do believe local variables are still visible even when editing other objects, correct me if I’m wrong though

1 Like

no it just vanishes

2 Likes

Yeah if the text could wrap onto multiple lines and be expanded, I think it would be really helpful.

I’m not sure what the default mode should be — whether the comment should display single line or multiline by default.

But in terms of the expanding behaviour, what could happen is that you can expand or collapse it by pressing an arrow, a bit similarly to how containers behave. (You can tap the arrow to expand and collapse the container, and it will stay that way until you change it or exit and re-enter the project, I think)

So when you’re browsing another project, you could choose to expand/collapse the comments. And they’ll stay in that state until you leave the project, or expand/collapse them yourself again.

2 Likes

Local Variables are only visible where they were locally scoped. If scoped to the object, any rules inside a custom rule won’t be able to use that local variable (most likely for the convenience of an upcoming feature), but any rule that are not within a custom rule can see the local variable.

So even if you make a local variable in one object, you won’t see that variable if you enter a different object.

You can share the values of local variables between different objects with the use of Global Variables (Game Variables).

2 Likes

Gotcha, so while it does kinda work I do think it could be improved upon (especially since it would create unused variables even if only in small spaces)

1 Like