Coding Gossips [OFFICIAL]

Disclaimer: I know a little bit about Unity but I’m not an expert with it (I haven’t used it as much as other engines and libraries).
What I do know (both from prior knowledge of other engines and a video I just watched) is that your raycasting method should be pretty consistent! There’s a good video about it from Code Monkey on YouTube if you need a good reference.

TL;DR on the things I learned from that video:

• You can handle collision by pointing a ray downwards towards a platform, with a specific distance (long enough to hit the platform and pass through your player’s collision box if needed).
  • Make sure to split your scene into layers (one for the player/its collider, and one for the level collision) so you only raytrace the level layer.
  • Use a Boxcast instead of a Raycast so your player can stand on the edge of platforms.

I wish youluck!

6 Likes

I have a computer intended for Windows 7

It’s been through 8, 8.something,10.

I’m not updating it to 11 because, it can’t even load into playing a roblox game without taking minimun 1 minute. I don’t and won’t use it anymore

4 Likes

Could you please help me?
I want an object called BALL to continuously set a random position between x positions 0 to 1000, and Y positions 0 to 1000.
Could you please copy and edit this code with the changes needed to do this?
I don’t need scale or rotation code.

5 Likes

Is this code you wrote?

• Math.random() * (maxX -minX) + minX looks correct to me.

• First, it looks like you’d want a new function to modify an entity instead of creating one

• If you want something to continuously be set, you’d usually use something like requestAnimationFrame (do a quick search to learn more about that).

• In the animation frame tick function (part of requestAnimationFrame if you look that up), you can set the attributes Min/Max X/Y to what you want the min and max to be, then call the updateEntity function.

• Inside the updateEntity function, you could do ent.setPosition(randomX, randomY, 0), where randomX and randomY are the same as in the signal function

5 Likes

Thanks, i’ll try and do what you said.

5 Likes

Yes, Fire devices use a custom Android ROM. I remember I had a Kindle Fire a while back and my dad showed me how to put Glazed ICS (a more standard ROM) on it. My mind was blown haha

4 Likes

lol a robot just coded ping pong for me

4 Likes

wow thats so cool

3 Likes

Is iOS 16 any good? :thinking:
Can you use any font for the lock screen or just a few?

2 Likes

unfortunately just a few, 8 if i remember well (maybe 10, but you get the idea youre very limited)

4 Likes

also how?? Robot coding games would be so fun

1 Like

I discovered a few tricks with Shortcuts, especially with Calculate Expression.

• + is addition
  • - is subtraction
  • * is multiplication
  • / is division
  • floor is floor (obviously)
  • ceil is ceiling
  • ^ is power
  • % is modulo
  • sqrt is square root
  • cbrt is cube root
  • sin, cos, and tan are Sine, Cosine, and Tangent respectively
  • sinh, cosh, and tanh are Hyperbolic Sine, Hyperbolic Cosine, and Hyperbolic Tangent
  • pi is the literal pi (3.14159265358979)
  • e is Euler’s number
  • log is logarithm
  • ln is Natural Log
  • ! is factorial
  • E is x10^x (case sensitive)
  • () is a group (for PEMDAS)

There’s are all symbols I found that works.

4 Likes
  • fmod(a, b) is also modulo
  • fabs(a) = absolute value
  • rint(a) = round
  • integer is integer (obviously) same as floor(a)
  • precision=# returns a fixed number (precision=2 pi returns 3.14)
4 Likes

Processing.js is a direct import of Processing to javascript. I don’t know if I should learn p5.js or Processing. I’ll probably try Processing because it is related to java which I have never learnt. There is also openprocessing.org.

3 Likes

Processing.js was archived a couple years ago. That means that they stopped working on Processing.js, so I’d recommend learning p5.js instead! It doesn’t have that many differences from Processing.

3 Likes

Maybe I’ll learn both so when i code in js and java i can add them to libraries.

2 Likes

I’m not exactly sure if it’s as easy as that. JS and Java are not the same (and they’re not really that similar either).

I did find a list of syntax differences between Processing and p5.js if you were wondering: Processing transition · processing/p5.js Wiki · GitHub

What you’re thinking of doing might not work well. I normally wouldn’t recommend it, personally. Processing.js hasn’t been updated for about 5 years, and because of that there are going to be differences in each library from all the changes made in p5.

1 Like

i meant p5.js and processing. I’ve already imported p5 into javascript (using the html stuff)

1 Like

Right! Despite the libraries looking similar, Processing converts code to Java, while p5.js is JavaScript. So it’d be hard to port one codebase between both Processing and p5.js. Hopefully I’m understanding you right!

Overall, though, since (if I’m reading this right?) Processing converts its code into Java, I think it would be worth your time to learn Java itself separately in any case - but I haven’t really worked with Processing that much, so I’m not certain.

3 Likes

yay iOS 16 is out for iPhone!

2 Likes