Coding Gossips [OFFICIAL]

Really well-written post!

oh yeah, you’re right. I remember when it was a single payment, rip

Interesting – if I have the time, I would probably check out what Godot has to offer

Good suggestion!

4 Likes

I had to do it for a school assignment and I agree that there are better engines indeed. It’s very barebones and a little complicated to wrap your head around. That being said, I was able to write a functional game in it, so if you like a challenge… :wink:

4 Likes

XNA is great! It’s definitely barebones but that makes it versatile. I just don’t like MGCP. FNA lets you use a Content/ folder in your project with .PNG file assets instead.

3 Likes

Interesting. It’s a little finicky but I didn’t expect that to be the reason you disliked it. How come?

5 Likes

There are a lot of old standards with XNA in general that are basically never used anywhere else, and have been outdated for a long time (content packing with .xnb, XACT audio).

SpriteFont is another example of a font system that is really bad, outdated and just doesn’t render that well. There’s a great article about it (that sadly, I can’t post here) but I’ll summarize it for you (these aren’t my words, they’re coming from someone a thousand times more qualified than I am):

• SpriteFont looks terrible when rendered
    • Lack of quality kerning; only works with monospace fonts?
  • Nightmare to work with for localization teams
  • The XNB font output is easier to work with than what the tooling gives you. A confusing point without context but it’s a long story unfortunately lol

FontStashSharp is the best alternative to XNA SpriteFonts as far as I know, and it seems pretty widely used.

The article also mentions how XNA’s content pipeline does things such as:

• Converting .mp3s to .wmas (lossy to lossy conversion) instead of letting use OGGs
  • Very slow asset editing process that involves constantly reloading Visual Studio
  • XNA makes you split your sprite sheets
  • Content compression in XNA is weird and non-generic. You might as well use a zip folder for your content lol

I simplified everything down to bullet points but basically FNA does all these things better! Plus it gives you easy access to drag and drop your assets into the file explorer instead of messing with the MGCP interface.

3 Likes

I still feel like everything’s unstable on my iPad Air 5th Generation because it’s so new and the slightly bigger screen. Everything just feels the little bit more unstable.

Fun fact about iPads

The original iPad Air from 2013 still works really good in 2022! It just doesn’t do iOS updates. But you can even use the latest version of Hopscotch on it, probably because they came out in the same year.

Before I got this iPad, IPAD AIR 5TH GENERATION (capitals because I’ve said it so many times and I want to emphasise in a funny way) I used an original iPad Air. They’re slow on the internet but not too slow. You can still search some things up.

Heheh I know a lot about iPads because for some reason they’re my main interest.
What goes around my head: APPLE IPAD IPAD APPLE IPAD /j lol I’m making fun of myself xD

6 Likes

Yeah the M1 in anything is great, and funny story I had the iPad Air 2 which still gets updates to this day (not my main anymore though because iOS 14 changes slowed down HS a lot, though other changes in that were fine). It won’t get iOS 16, but 8 years of feature updates for a tablet is incredible!

1 Like

Wow didn’t know there was a topic for this if I did I’d put that post here :disappointed_relieved:
iPadsssss

1 Like

Yeah no worries, now you know this is a space to talk about that

1 Like

I DIDNT CREATE THIS TOPIC WHAAAAAAAAAAT?

4 Likes

That’s weird. Usually it says “…because you are watching this topic” when you manually set it to Watching…

3 Likes

It was automatic. because awsome_e moved one of my posts from another topic that I actually made to here so that made it think that I created this topic

2 Likes

Try setting it to Tracking and back, and see if the glitch persists.

2 Likes

Maybe…

It’s more or less because the device is still supported (iOS 13 and newer). And it’ll probably still be for many years to come (or until the minimum iOS version for HS gets bumped up to iOS 16 (which releases this fall). Don’t worry, this won’t happen for another 5-10 years).

Fun Fact: I used Hopscotch on 4 different devices.

iPad Gen 2 (no longer supported)
iPad Pro 9.7" (first iPad used)
iPad Pro 11"
M1 iPad Pro 12.7" (current, active)

2 Likes

I think the original air has iOS 12.something because I couldn’t get the latest version of iMovie on it because that’s iOS 13 or later so I had to get an older version.

2 Likes

Yes it’s ok now I guess it was just a visual glitch!
Thanks @Crosbyman64!

1 Like

I guess you’re silv now /j

3 Likes

Hahaha yes lol

2 Likes

I… I don’t think I’ve ever had this impulse before…
This conversation has made me want to look through the Discourse source code to find the cause of the glitch. :')

I don’t know how to feel about this but I think it’s pretty funny that I could do this sort of thing with open source software now.

6 Likes

I think its the same glitch that can make a solved post from another topic still be solved in another (ex. a solved topic into a topic that can’t be set as solved)

5 Likes