Chess Meets Coding!-A Coding Competition

Chess Meets Coding!

let’s hope this one lasts

Welcome to the Chess Meets Coding Competition!

Chess is a really underrated game. “You have so many pieces!”, “There’s so many rules…”, “It’s just too hard.” Most of these aren’t true at all! I want to change that. With this competition, you’ll have to take what you know about chess to build a project informing people about at least one misconception about chess-and the truth behind that myth!

Extra Info About Chess

1. After both players move, 400 possible board setups exist. After the second pair of turns, there are 197,742 possible games, and after three moves , 121 million!
  2. Chess has only six types of pieces!
  3. All the pieces “attack” by jumping onto their opponents- but only the pawn attacks differently then it typically moves!

Judging

Judges
@AstrosUwU
@Nobody
@cherry_red
@TrueHarryPotterLover
@DolphinGirl7

To judge, just ask!
0 remaining judging slots!

AstrosUwU’s Crash Course on Chess!

Chess has six pieces: pawn, bishop, knight, rook, queen and king.

Pawns can move forward only, two spaces on first turn and one on all other moves. they attack diagonally. they are the only pieces that attack differently then they move. if they reach the opposite end of the board, they can become queens, knights, bishops or rooks. you have 8 pawns.
Bishops can move diagonally. you have two bishops-light squared and dark squared
Knights move in L-shapes. they are the only piece that can jump over other pieces. you have two knights
Rooks can move forward, backward, and sideways. you have two rooks
The Queen can move forward, backward, sideways and diagonally. you have one queen
The King can move in any direction, but only one square at a time.
Check is when your king is in danger and you can do one of the three CPR moves.
Checkmate is when your king is in danger and you cannot perform one of the CPR moves.
CPR is a term for how to get your king out of check: C apture, P rotect, R un away.

Prizes

1st place

15 AstrosPoints, a follow, a small pixel art request and 50 spam likes from @astrosuwu

2nd place

10 AstrosPoints, a follow and 25 spam likes from @astrosuwu

3rd place

5 AstrosPoints, and 15 spam likes from @astrosuwu

Deadline

Projects must be turned in by September 14th.

Other

Can I collaborate with other people?

Sure! We encourage collaboration because learning to work with others as a team is a valuable skill that can help later in life!-AstrosUwU

• I’ll join!
  • some other time
  • no, sorry
  • oops

0 voters

10 Likes

huge thanks to @Nobody for their topic on tips for competitions

2 Likes

i dont know how to play chess

2 Likes

can I judge pls?

1 Like

I can help you learn-it’s way easier then it looks

sure!

3 Likes

@Dakoan

AstrosUwU’s Crash Course on Chess!

Chess has six pieces: pawn, bishop, knight, rook, queen and king.

Pawns can move forward only, two spaces on first turn and one on all other moves. they attack diagonally. they are the only pieces that attack differently then they move. if they reach the opposite end of the board, they can become queens, knights, bishops or rooks. you have 8 pawns.
Bishops can move diagonally. you have two bishops-light squared and dark squared
Knights move in L-shapes. they are the only piece that can jump over other pieces. you have two knights
Rooks can move forward, backward, and sideways. you have two rooks
The Queen can move forward, backward, sideways and diagonally. you have one queen
The King can move in any direction, but only one square at a time.
Check is when your king is in danger and you can do one of the three CPR moves.
Checkmate is when your king is in danger and you cannot perform one of the CPR moves.
CPR is a term for how to get your king out of check: Capture, Protect, Run away.

if you have any questions just ask!

4 Likes

hi I’ll judge if possible I like chess a lot

1 Like

are there any leads on?

2 Likes

@pumpkingirl

2 Likes

would you like me to edit something?

2 Likes

okie

can you edit nobody and cherry_red into judges, as well as lower the remaining judges counter?

and edit my crash course into the op

2 Likes

thank you!

2 Likes

all good?

1 Like

sqeee perfect thank you!

1 Like

Can I be a judge plss. And can judges compete

1 Like

yes and no, respectively. @PumpkinGirl?

2 Likes

tomorrow (maybe today) I’ll post a list of common misconceptions

1 Like

to double check - I’m adding them to the judge list?

1 Like

I know how to play chess! Can I judge.

1 Like

I was looking for something to do…

Could I make a chess game?

1 Like