✰ Cherry_Red’s Guide to Trail Art! ✰

inhales

Hello hopscotchers!
A few while ago someone had requested that I make a trail art tutorial, so here I am! Now, sit back as I share steps I use to code trail art!

Step 1

find your inspiration

What inspires you? What do you like? Nature? Technology? Space? Animals? Maybe even food! The more original the idea is, the better! The best thing about making trail art is that there’s thousands and thousands of things that you can make! You will feel more encouraged to make something that you like more than something you don’t.

Tip: if you can’t think of something, you can search on hopscotch for ideas. Remember, the idea won’t come immediately, it may take some time, so don’t worry, an idea will come when you least expect it to. :wink:

Step 2

start planning

Before coding, you must always think everything through. So when you have an idea on what to code, try drawing it on a piece of paper first. It doesn’t have to look good on the sheet of paper, a rough sketch will do. As long as you know what it will be, that’s all that matters.

Step 3

code!

This might be the trickiest part for some people, but don’t fear! I’m here to help, since this this is a guide. If you have never made a trail art and you find it stressful or something, it’s ok to take a break and come back to it later! You don’t have to finish it on the same day, unless you feel that you can do it. Anyway here are some basic shapes that I made to help you:

Shapes
Circle

The more you increase the move forward block, the more the circle will get bigger.

Semi-circle

Square

Same with the circle, the more you increase the move forward block the bigger the square

Rectangle

**Pro Tip: if you want your trail art to go faster use the set speed block. I also use the create a clone block, which can be very helpful.

If you need different shapes, here are some:

This pretty much wraps up the tutorial. Anyway feel free to @ me if you need any help with something
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Happy Hopscotching!

@omtl

30 Likes

Cool tutorial!

7 Likes

Great tutorial!
Question: you mention using the create a clone block, can you give an example of code for when you would use it?

6 Likes

Noice tutorial there
Hmm I sense no sine and cosine tho
And for a circle:

Draw a trail width (circle radius) color (wutever)
Move forward 1 (or 0 if it works)
End trail

Draw a trail width ((circle radius) - (circle thickness)) color (white)
Move forward 1 (or 0 if it works)
End trail

7 Likes

I didn’t make that very clear didn’t I?
Anyway here you go

6 Likes

nice tutorial

sine/cosine draws circles faster I think

9 Likes

Much much faster

8 Likes

This is faster right?
Almost instant

6 Likes

ohh this is awesome!

I think so yep

6 Likes

2 frames only but it doesn’t have the background in the middle

5 Likes

That’s pretty helpful ty!

1 Like

Woah, cool tutorial! Thank you so much for putting it together (and including my link in it), I’m sure that it will help many.

4 Likes

Great tutorial! :)))

1 Like

bump Clive!

1 Like

It may be old but it’s still useful. I don’t think it needs to be clived.
But then again I’m not entirely sure what gets clived and what doesn’t anymore

4 Likes

Nope, you’re right ^^

2 Likes

I use sine and cosine when I am making ovals and sometimes circles, but I use Cherry_Red’s method when I am doing a certain amount of degrees

3 Likes