Challenge Math and Brain Teaser Problems!

What's negative 3 multiplied by negative 3?

9???? XD

You didn't say negative 3 was the square root of 9.
And now your saying negative 3 is!

I'm not really getting you, what do you mean??? Is the answer -9??? Or 6

9 is the result of negative 3 multiplied by negative 3.
So the square root of 9 is negative 3.

Oh ok, but both negative and positive 3 times by it self equals 9

Where'd you get that from? (As in the Q)

Now that you mention, I looked back through that Murderous Maths book, (I admit I really like it and don't know how much is fair use in relations to showing contents of the book, but I suppose it would be the same if anyone looked at a sample of it...I should be more careful, but I will show this, I just like these hehe)

I have not looked at this for a long time so I do not know the answer! (They are in the book though)

That is interesting (I have probably said this recently about math stuff tons of times xD). This works for all other square roots, too.

This is pretty obvious, and probably doesn't count as an answer, but what about 10/30? Cross out the 0's and get 1/3 :joy:

Ooh wow I would not have thought about that!! They had another answer but I don't think they had thought about the ones with 0s :open_mouth:

He he, very funny :slight_smile:

Yeah, I did a lot of work on this too (3 pages of work actually). My friend tried to solve it as well and we both got negative areas (-70 and -83). I'm going to read through your work and also try and solve it again, but it a more organized fashion.

Also, I edited it in later, the side length of the pentagon is 1 (to make it easier checking your work)

Did you solve the area of the green area? (Sorry, I was trying to look around. What did you happen to get?)

but you never mentioned the answers for both questions corresponded.
You can have -3^2 or 3^2 equal the answer of 9. The square root should be plus or minus 3.

Ooh hmm I didn't want to go too far so I had only the lengths that I had put (haha yep I just set the side lengths to x, I guess I'm just used to trying to generalise :joy: so it could be used for a pentagon with any side length)

I am suspecting that there are gaps in the circle where the star does not cover it but am not sure if there are:

The pentagon is inscribed inside the circle (so all five points of the pentagon are on the circle as well)

Thanks for all the support and activity on this topic! Thanks again!<3

@Stradyvarious the largest number you can enter in my program is about 3 quintillion, or exactly 3,074,457,345,618,258,602. (Which still follows the rule!)

EDIT: I have changed my program to work with massive numbers. It works with 1000! (1000 factorial) but it takes forever

Woah that is awesome!!

And ooh I thought about this more too, and I see now that because the vertices of the pentagon are on the circle, if you extend lines from them beyond the circle, i think it won't have the gaps inside the circle that I was talking about before.

So from that, i can work out the shaded area from my diagram = five orange triangles + area of middle circle - (area of the five unshaded segments in the middle circle)

I took this problem form my math blog I just created!

Question 1: Difficulty 10
Find the smallest nonzero solution
(x^2) - 313(y^2) = 1

Who can solve it??

Ooh I will take a look at your new problem too @JonnyGamer :smiley:

I meant to post this yesterday (chance of arithmetic errors is high likely)

I have no idea about the correctness of this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seems about accurate? Here's a like, I'm out : :heart: