Can you see this effect?

Hopscotchers,

Remember those "Magic Eye" autostereogram books that, when viewed just right, could cause the person looking at them to see a fully three-dimensional object pop out of what otherwise just looks like a bunch of random dots or swishes on a flat page? Some people see 'em right away. Other people struggle to just get them in focus. Other people can't see 'em at all.

Well, i made something last night that's kind of like that. I posted it today.

It's a 3D (actually 4D) effect written in Hopscotch (of course). The thing is... after one coder remixed the project with the added message that it "doesn't work" for him, I am wondering if anybody else will see it or not.

Hmm...

So, I want to try making a poll here - a simple yes-or-no poll. First , if you have a minute, please go check out "DIMoRPHio." I stuck it in the "art" category, I think. Follow the instructions... and then decide whether the effect works for you or not. Then... vote.

• :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: YES, I see it. It works. Whoa.............
  • :unamused: NO, I can't see any 3D effect. Meh...

0voters

This may help: I recommend putting the iPad down horizontally, looking at it with only one eye, hitting "zero" when the reflection of your eye is right on the red ball in the middle of the screen, then focusing your eye on the "closest" object (red ball) in the picture, as if it really is poking out of the screen, while tilting the iPad around a little. It works a lot better in the dark for me.

I wonder if it will work at all for you!

-oio

It worked for me! And it's so cool! It's kind if like a pop-up book. And it does really help if you close one eye because you can't register depth as well :wink:

Good job on your amazing project(s)!

EDIT: Haha, iThingy

I'm pretty useless at seeing that sort of stuff it doesn't like pop out but I can see some 3D

@Lavendercupcake,

Don't feel bad, cupcake. It's hit-and-miss for me too! Sometimes I see optical illusions that aren't even supposed to be illusions. i probably need glasses. That's why I'm putting the question out there to the experts. :sunglasses:

I am in a well-lit room and it still worked for me! It could be because I didn't have my glasses on though... But still, neat!!!!!! I didn't know you could make something like that on Hopscotch! Good job @oio! :sunglasses:

It's awesome @oio (this had to be longer

this is like, the coolest project EVER!

You said it and I've posted like 50 things today and I haven't eached my limit WERID

Me too! this had to me 20 letters

This is such a cool 3d effect @oio! A few times it almost looked like it was popping outside the screen for me, but most of the time it looked it was popping out inside the screen if that makes sense. It looked 3D against the text. Super awesome.

Here's the link to the project in case anyone has trouble finding it.

Thanks, @t1_hopscotch, @DrDuctape, and @Gabe_N!

You know what? I totally forgot to put the link in the O.P. Sheesh. :blush: Thanks for that. I am glad to hear that it isn't just my eyes playing tricks... ok, eye playing tricks on me. I hope more people will vote in my little yes/no poll. It will be interesting to see what fraction of people perceive this as we have.

Believe it or not, I am actually using this effect in my next game... :sunglasses:
I bet you could too!

-oio

This so cool @oio! It actually worked! Soooo Cooool!

Oh my god this works so good wow how did you now what to put the controls under??

@Phase_Studios and @TeamSuper,

Stoked that you are also able to see it. I am really hoping this could get you guys to have even one new wild idea about what you can do with some imagination. You guys are good at that stuff, I think. I have seen such clever things from everybody in my short time working with Hopscotch, I'm just trying to bring something like it to the table.

@TeamSuper, I would really like to understand your question a little better before trying to answer it fully and maybe end up saying a bunch of stuff that isn't what you want to know. Do you have a specific part of the code in mind? Maybe you can put a finer point on what you'd like to know? For now, I can just guess at one part of your question and tell you that, since we have so few ways to access the properties of individual clones, my "trick" or "hack" here was to tag each clone with a very slight (1/100 degree!) rotation more than the previous, in order to identify it or grab onto it within the "repeat forever" loop, since each clone does actually own its own copy of that attribute. I promise, this is just something that occurred to me while doing some chores. It might not even be the most efficient way to do it. Does that even come close to answering the question? I guess the shorter answer is that I did half of it in my head and just guessed the other half.

In the mean time, guys, I'll make another version of this (I am thinking braille characters) and upload it to see if it inspires anyone to actually do an over-the-top remix. That would be so cool.

Ready to be amazed! :sunglasses:

-oio

**what do your values mean **
I seen some of your values what do they mean?

Understood.

Those values are, in the order shown,

1. Clonecount is the integer counter for the number of clones of the original text object that have been generated. I think I coded for clones numbering 1 to 10. You could do more of them, if your processor can keep up.
  2. MagFac is a (poorly named, probably) variable that says how to grow each clone, so that it appears larger (or smaller) with each clone layer. What it really amounts to is the sense of "perspective". Why did I choose that value? It just seemed right. Plus it's variable, through the control on the lower left part if the display.
  3. TiltFac is a scaling factor for the iPad tilt value. It helps properly displace the clone from the center position, based on how much the iPad is tilted. Again, trial-and-error brought me to the value you see. It gets changed by the up and down arrows on the lower right part of the display.
  4. BaseMag is the scaling factor for the very first clone layer. Kind of the starting point in size for all subsequent layers. It says how much to multiply the size of the first clone of the original. The rest just grow (or shrink) from there. This one gets changed by the control on the bottom of the screen.

Where you really want to look for clues as to how these parameters work together is inside the "When ... is cloned" block in the center text object.

Sorry for the choppy text. It's kind of hard typing on this iPad keyboard. If i were at a real computer with a real keyboard, my explanation might be clearer. Typing on glass has a charm of somewhere between working at a computer and sending a text message. So, if any of this stuff isn't clear, let me know somehow, and I'll give it another try.

-oio

I just uploaded another version of the DIMoRPHio code. I am stil interested in finding out what fraction of the coders who try it out can see the effect the way some of us do. I am trying to make a game with this, but I am not 100% sure it will even be playable.

If you have a minute, please have a look at the poll at the top of this thread and let me know what you think. Not looking for "likes" - just a statistically significant sampling of who can see stuff pop out of the screen. Tell me if you can or cannot...

Thanks!
-oio

EDIT: i forgot to mention that I quit using tiny rotations as the embedded ID for differentiating between clones in this version. i am now using transparency. That's a little more of a pain, and slower on my older iPad, but it frees the code to rotate the clones at will. Couldn't do that before. So, i think this is better...