Can anybody simplify trig?

trig
help

nah, I have most of it done here: https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/xnbxmgbpw
(same link as before) but I just want to know how to fix the final turn, because I don't know the equations for inverse trig (yet)

I admire your persistence. They used to call that "gumption," I think.

:persevere:

So, the long and the short of it is that, no, you can't get "inverse trigonometric functions" straight out of Hopscotch yet, but, I am sure that I can make this triangle program, as you have outlined it.

And even more confident that you can do it.

I'll tell you what: I will make a dinky example and publish it in the next 24 hours, just in case you want to compare notes with me.

Sound fun?

sure! but that lack of inverse trig thing is a shame (now that I know how to use it, ish) but hey, at least I know what those buttons on the calculator are for! xD

@oio and @CreativeCoder, thank you guys SO MUCH!! You saved me from my not knowing what sin and Cosine are! Thanks again!! :grin:

Hey, awesome. That's what it's all about. Learning, sharing and fun. Right? I'm glad, if any of this helps.

Yeah! I can't like, so here :heart:

Whats is sin and cos?

@CreativeCoder @oio My finished product! :smile:

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/xndymi3v8

Thank you so much @oio!! :smile:

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/xnlmlta17

@oio, I've kept on with trig, I'm going to try to make a 3D game... wish me luck!

Of course. Good luck! I am glad to hear...or...read it.

A worthy goal is also to push the "playability" of any game in Hopscotch to the max, given all the limitations, mostly to do with speed. That's not easy. Hopscotch does some things fairly quickly but other things really... really... slowly. So we have to find magic spot between visually-interesting effects and effects that become too laggy to be very much fun in our games. When I play a game, I want the thing to be quick, quick, quick. Otherwise, no matter how well thought-out the code may be, and even if I made it myself, I lose interest. I hope you can make something exciting and quick. Good luck with that as well.

right now it's just a physics test with 2 squares taking the place of 3D objects, simply plotting them on the X and Z coordinates, it does have the 3ed dimension, and I can add the 2ed back in easily once I get this down, reconfiguring the point towards code for this is getting... difficult, at best, and I haven't even got to the hard part yet!

@oio, same here! Look at one of my most recents projects, and you will see the awesomeness!! :smile:

Ok, i will do that. What matters most, to me at least, is if you start with something you totally don't know how to do and then become a master of it.

I am still trying to improve the "hack" that I use to seemingly move things around quickly in all dimensions for the purpose of making games. I posted one recently. I have several of them coming together that use essentially the same guts. Did you see the one with all the flowers and bugs and the moving target in "3D"? If so, what would you do to improve it? For example, I have already made it so that you can either score by using the button on the side or just tapping the screen, if you see the hidden target. I also made it so the player can select how complex the game will be over a very large range. Basically, that means that I let the player choose how much stuff is on the screen. But what else? What else could we do in Hopscotch with a game like that? If I have time, I will "publish" the next version of "Parallax" tomorrow.

I don't have Hopscotch, can you please provide me the link?

Also, how do you apply a "z" dimension if Hopscotch only gives you x and y? Is the secret somewhere in sin and cos?

that's the problem @rawrbear, there isn't a z dimension in hopscotch, so you have to formulate one yourself... which, needless to say, is difficult

Is there a way? And how? And why?

I'll provide some screenshots of 4D4U soon.... (@Rawrbear)

there is a way... how do I explain... look inside the code in this project... pretty hard, huh?

@oio... I messed up somewhere in this code and I can't dig myself out of all of these variables... help

(also I made some progress, right?)

I can't look inside code, either. :confused::sweat: