Calling All the New Hopscotchers!

Hey all,

We’re looking to collect some stories of new Hopscotchers (if you started using Hopscotch after January 2020). If you don’t mind sharing, we’d love to learn about:

• how old you were when you joined Hopscotch
  • how did you find Hopscotch
  • what did you do to get good at hopscotch?
  • have you coded before?
  • did the community help you in any way to be a better coder?
  • how long did it take until you got featured (Rising, Excellent, Masterpiece, or winning a competition/challenge)?
  • What was a proud moment for you in Hopscotch?
  • What does Hopscotch mean to you?
Example

My name is Yuanyuan, and I joined Hopscotch when I was 24 years old. I found out about Hopscotch because a friend was telling me about it. I thought it was an interesting concept, so I decided to give it a try! I followed the tutorials to get better at Hopscotch. I have coded in other programming languages for 3 years before. I was able to play a lot of games in the community and investigate how the other people coded their games, and that’s how I learned. Although I have not been featured, my proud moment in Hopscotch was when I first made a project announcement that had different parts and scenes, and that really challenged me.

If you’d rather share in private, please send us an email to hello@gethopscotch.com with the subject line “My Hopscotch Story.”

We’re excited to find out all of your stories with Hopscotch!!

Extra help: If you (with your parent’s permission) wouldn’t mind getting interviewed by Hopscotch or give a statement via interview or video, please let us know!

35 Likes

First post!
Is it mandatory?

3 Likes

Um :no_mouth:

I joined hopscotch in 2014 :rofl: but I wasn’t good until 2020 because I actually took it seriously

I’m assuming I can’t do this because of that?

Also @CB_Studios yeah do it

4 Likes

No. It is not.

3 Likes

It’s not mandatory, but feel free to share your story here!

10 Likes

And no I wasn’t very active

3 Likes

Can we also do it in a PM?

3 Likes

I joined in 2017, but I got bored and left…I re-joined Oct 2020, so could I do this?

4 Likes

I probably won’t be around to make a PM for everyone, try emailing me! Or you can post and edit your post? I think I would be able to see the edit history.

9 Likes

Yes, feel free to share!

8 Likes

I joined in 2014 but got good in 2017 then made a new acc in 2020

3 Likes

Could I leave out the age?

3 Likes

Can you see this edit history???

4 Likes

Yes you can leave out the age, but we’d really appreciate the info if you don’t mind sharing! Email us if you don’t want others to know!

11 Likes

Hi I’m DaughterOfHecate I joined hopscotch in august 2020 and I was 11. I found hopscotch by scrolling through the App Store looking through coding apps, I’m still not very good but the forum is helping me improve a lot, I haven’t coded before but I have a scratch account and coded a little tiny animation but that’s it and that was after I joined hopscotch, I have never been featured but a proud moment in hopscotch was when I got 100 likes on my shark tank project and it made me feel like I was recognized and appreciated on the app, hopscotch is a fun place and an amazing community, I would be devistated if anything happened to it.

What is this for exactly?

7 Likes

@Yuanyuan check edit history

4 Likes

Did you mean aug 2020 lol?

This is awesome though!

3 Likes

My typos define me XD

5 Likes

Does it count if I was first introduced to hopscotch in May 2019 but started using it February/March 2020?

5 Likes

I found Hopscotch by looking around in the App Store. I was bored and stumbled upon this app again! I remembered the cool projects there, and decided to re-join. I was surprised by how much it changed, and excited to use the new features! When I was starting out, I looked at others’ coding and learned how to do things like trail arts, pixel arts, perfect circles with sine and cosine, and more! Everyone on the app was really welcoming, and they all helped me out as well. I remember one night I had an idea for a trail art scene, and it got nominated here on the forum! It ended up on rising. I was so proud to finally have a featured project! Prior to Hopscotch, I learned teensy bits of html from some books. Hopscotch means a community where everyone wants to learn and grow and code.

5 Likes