Built in music maker in hopscotch

While the set sound block is good for sound effects, it is not the best in terms of ease of use for music. That’s why I think an in app music maker would be cool. This would include a digital piano, a guitar, and a drum set! When u finish your song, you can either import directly into your project, or you can place it on the hopscotch song store, where you can sell your song for anywhere between 1, and 50 seeds. Although this could (like projects) lead to spamming, so a limit of 2 songs per month would be fair. Similar to the set image block, you would be able to select songs that you’ve either purchased, or created yourself by selecting the bubble!

Thoughts?

19 Likes

interesting

I like it

3 Likes

Sounds coolio

Would be helpful to a lot of people, including me lol

3 Likes

Mhm, and would add a theoretical micro economy in a sense, no?

3 Likes

Wow :+1::+1::+1: good idea

3 Likes

And it would be easier to find songs for my games that are not too distracting

2 Likes

Interesting idea

3 Likes

what an epic idea i need this now

2 Likes

Doesn’t this take away the charm of “programming” music? (But I guess the same could be said about the ability to draw characters.)
Maybe instead of having a music maker in Hopscotch, Hopscotch could instead just support MIDI files? So if you make a song in, say, GarageBand, you can save and import it into Hopscotch?

5 Likes

you’d still need to record the song if I’m correct

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure how this would work, as I am not familiar with MIDI files in the slightest.
But having a full music maker in Hopscotch is very heavy. Importing sounds and being able to play them is lighter.

3 Likes

Yep, I agree with that.

MIDI Files are kinda like the XML of sounds I guess. They put certain notes with a certain instrument at a certain time.

6 Likes

That could easily lead to copyright issues, while if the user must play the song on a digital keyboard, it is obviously the child’s work

3 Likes

I see your point. But I don’t think having a full music maker on hopscotch is possible. It’s a big change and will add a lot of baggage to the app.

2 Likes

That is true

2 Likes

True, maybe just a digital keyboard tho? That shouldn’t be that difficult to make

3 Likes

You probably know more about it than I do. But in the end, like all files, MIDI files are just binary files. So I don’t think uploading them should be much of an issue.

3 Likes

And maybe you can audio record something and use that. But it will go through the same process as if you put in an image

2 Likes

There’s my second point:
Doesn’t this take away from the experience of actually “programming” the music?

2 Likes

Yes that is true. We should just add more music notes

2 Likes