Bugs That I Have Encountered In Both The Editor and The Player

bugs

1. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, HS decides to crash on me, even when I'm not doing anything. Like, I leave to get a glass of water while scrolling through my "Following" tab, and when I come back, it's crashed.

2. If it crashes while I'm in the editor, my drafts delete with no way of getting them back. I was in the middle of making a game, the biggest one I've made in a while, and it crashed and I had lost everything. Fortunately, I had made a copy of the project and I could still work on it. UNfortunately, it crashed again later that same day, and I lost that too. Ugggg.

3. Sometimes, when I add a new object to the editor, like a star or Jeepers, (that lit Jeep character), and add code to it, it might not even register and I'd be left with a screen with all the other object BUT the one I had just added in. Weird, but if you encounter this bug, you should close the app and go back in. It seems to fix it.

4. In the editor, it might just suddenly decide not to respond to any of my taps. It won't let me do anything if it involves tapping the screen. I can exit and close the app with the home button, but that's about it.

5. (HS Player) When I open a project made by someone else, it may just decide not to do anything, and it sits there, loading. It goes on for a long time. I timed it, and on one try, it took almost seven minutes! (The time was 6:24:53)

Please address these issues ASAP. They're really annoying to deal with, and they make the editor a minefield, flinching on everything you touch, hoping that it doesn't crash. (I know, I know, I have such a way with words. I should be a poet.)

@Liza @Rodrigo @Montoya

I agree with (XD I am OBSESSED with vine XD) barely all of these. Noice Topic!

Hmm, I've never come across any of these before. What iPad do you use?

1: Mostly every app eventually does that
2: Yep
3: Never seen that
4: Yep
5: That happens on all of COAN's popular projects (pixel text typer)

I use an old one, that might be the problem

@NeoPixel U do know how hard it is to fix all of these bugs tho
If they fix it with an update there might be a new bug...

Actually, when I visited THT HQ, they said that they can fix these bugs easily after they reproduce them on their side, it's just that people aren't reporting the bugs they find often. :)

Hmm, send us an email with your crash logs.

I've never really had any of these bugs... it could also be something with your device or wifi. Do bugs like that happen when your in other apps too?

Do what @awesomeonion said, I guess. Send them an emai.

Thanks for providing info on all these bugs! It's super helpful.

Re bug #2: Can you make this happen? Can you try creating different kinds of drafts, copying them, working on them, etc. and then see if you can get Hopscotch to crash? If you can give us specific instructions on how to make this happen, it will make it much, much faster for us to fix the bug.

Also, like @awesomeonion said, can you send us your crash logs? Here's how to get them:

If your computer is a Mac:
1. Sync your iPad to a computer using Apple's directions
2. Open a Finder window and select Go to Folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift-Command-G). A dialog box should appear.
3. Copy and paste the following into the box and press the Return key:
~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice
4. Open the folder name of the device you’ve synced.
5. Select the most recent or relevant crash logs. The name of each log file will include the app, the date and time the file was created, and the device, such as:
Hopscotch_2015-05-07-042617_iPad.crash
6. Attach the log files in reply to us

If your computer is Windows:
1. Sync your iPad to a computer using Apple's directions
2. Open Windows Explorer.
3. Copy and paste the following into the ■■■■■■■ bar and press the Enter key:
%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\
4. Open the folder name of the device you’ve synced.
5. Select the most recent or relevant crash logs. The name of each log file will include the app, the date and time the file was created, and the device, such as:
Hopscotch_2015-05-07-042617_iPad.crash
6. Attach the log files in a reply to us

What if you have an iPad, can you still get crash logs?

Plug it into your computer and then follow the directions above for your computer type to find the files :slight_smile:

Ok thanks

I think #2 can be fixed with an autosave option, like... make a backup save that you can locate in your drafts every 5 minutes?

Well, this is "Bugs", not "Feature Requests", so......?