Bug Hunt – Stretchy Text, Rounding, and Prompts FIXED

Stretchy Text!

Remember when you entered text into a text object directly, and upon pressing the play button, it would look like this?

That’s finally been fixed with the latest player update! Now you can save text directly on a text object, and it will display the letters properly. All of your projects that support strings have already received this fix, and older projects will receive the fix soon.

Rounding!

Ever since we introduced strings, calculations would be rounded in the middle of certain operations, like (40 ÷ 27) ✕ 27. Instead of returning 40, Hopscotch would round the answer halfway through and give you 39.999987

In this update, values will once again round properly. Hopscotch will only round numbers when displaying your result and not between calculations. This means that operations such as (40 ÷ 27) ✕ 27 will return 40 again

Prompts!

When we introduced the save input block, anyone who put it in a “Repeat Forever” block and clicked “don’t show again” would see the same prompt when they restarted the project, even if the user had changed the prompt text in the code.

Restarting the project now will remove any prompts that were a part of the previous play so that any time you see a prompt, rest assured that every prompt you see was triggered by code run after you hit the restart button

30 Likes

Note: you do not need to update the app to see these changes; you should already see the changes in your projects!

14 Likes

Good stuff

6 Likes

Hooray! I see “webplayer” above; so this is only for the web player, but not within the iOS app? Is this new goodness going to make its way into the iOS app?

4 Likes

The app uses the webplayer to play projects, in fact it seems that currently the fixes are not yet on the webpage.

6 Likes

Best fix ever! I can also confirm that 8 ^ (1 ÷ 3) (aka cube root of 8) returns 2 as intended instead of like 1.99 or 2.01 or somewhere along the lines.

1 Like

thats awesome (E)!! super nice to have these bugs fixed :))

7 Likes

woo yes best fix ever!

3 Likes

wow! Awesome job E!

4 Likes

All that means is that only the webplayer file needed to be updated. The newest version should already be in your iOS files, meaning that you can play projects from iOS app and these bugs will no longer occur.

That’s correct; I let the team know about this already, but in the meantime you can use something like the “Redirector” extension (on desktops, that is) to redirect the 1.5.14 URLs to 1.5.15

Thanks!

5 Likes

Super cool!

Is this app from @Petrichor working as you expect?

5 Likes

sin(180) does now show 0 as expected. For me when I use it in my drafts, at least.

Perhaps it only doesn’t work when used with strings, but alone it works.

2 Likes

I thought I had specifically tested that project too :sweat_smile:

The issue here is that it’s not recognizing that it the “calculation” is really just a string concatenation, so because it’s still an intermediate calculation, it’s doesn’t round it.

This is correct

Regardless though, it seems I will definitely have to look into this again. That being said, you will still have better accuracy when making calculations because of this, things like numerical “data strings” (now also known as “the reason Hopscotch should have arrays”) will also have the capability to be longer.

4 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that without strings an irrational number has 6 digits after the decimal place, but with strings, that same number has 16 digits after the decimal place.

4 Likes

Good luck with your type inferencing!

Do you think there is any performance benefit to not constantly printing and parsing strings, or is that all negligible compared to other parts of HS program execution?

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: You Can Talk About Your Hopscotch Coding Here 27 [OFFICIAL]

good bug fixes, all of these have been annoying to me at some point lol

4 Likes

FINALLY
I’ve been waiting for the bug fix for a long time

1 Like

This is awesome - great job fixing these!

4 Likes

Thanks, and me too :)

Well, now they’re fixed!

Thank you!

5 Likes