Bluetooth Keyboard and Controller in Games as When Blocks

A feature I’d like to see in Hopscotch is:

A when Bluetooth key___ is tapped block.

I’d use it for this type of project:

Any project where having keyboard support would be nice.

Here are some examples of Hopscotch code that could be improved if we had this:

Well, since this is something that is currently impossible, idrk if there’s any code currently available that can be improved by it

Here is an example design I’ve made:

I’m lazy, but basically just picture this:

But with the word “key” before “is”

I’ve seen something similar in another programming languages, it looks like this:

I actually dunno what other languages support this, but u guys can be the first!

A feature I’d like to see in Hopscotch is:

When controller button is tapped/pressed

I’d use it for this type of project:

Most games. Let’s be real, how cool would it be to be able to control your character with a 16 button Xbox controller! That would take stuff to the next level imo. Picture bears adventure, but with a PS4 controller!

Here are some examples of Hopscotch code that could be improved if we had this:

Here is an example design I’ve made:

Hah, me? Just the same as a when is tapped block, but with the word button, and with a different parameter.

I’ve seen something similar in another programming languages, it looks like this: I have never tbh

I think that maybe u guys could rack up some extra money by making these seed/subscription only items imo. What do u guys think?
@ana, @Elizabeth, @Nazari

16 Likes

I definetly second this, this would bring controller games to the next level.

3 Likes

This would be pretty cool.

4 Likes

But rn they aren’t at any level

4 Likes

Controller as in not the physical object but the mechanic to control an object in game.

4 Likes

If ur talking bout computer/laptop stuff as well, that would be so lit

2 Likes

this is a good idea!
we could definitely use this to make controller games EVEN BETTER. great suggestion! THT would be crazy to not consider this.

2 Likes

Great suggestion - this would be awesome! I hope THT adds it sometime in the future.

3 Likes

Like, everyone single one?

Controller support is something you usually see in professional game engines like GameMaker, Unity, Unreal, etc. Seeing it in Hopscotch? Not sure how that’d work, especially if things become exclusive to certain controls because of the way something is programmed. But definitely a great idea.

3 Likes

I was thinking more block based, but yeah ig

1 Like

Yep, still what sandbox (open-ended, meaning you can create whatever you want) block-based coding platform doesn’t have keyboard support?

2 Likes

Just curious, what do? (Sorry, just entering the world of non hopscotch coding)

1 Like

Tynker and Scratch are the big ones.

2 Likes

So Tynker has keyboard support? I was just using tynker the other day

2 Likes

Yeah… idk if the event handler is in the mobile app, but you can use the key down event (when key pressed) or the operator (sensing)

1 Like

Yeah, I found the events in tynker to be slightly underwhelming. Also is there a non mobile website/application for tynker?

1 Like

Yeah, Web app.

I made a game there, and I faced the same issue. It actually checks the “key down event,” which is the same as if you held down a key while typing (it’s the first tap), so you need a repeat while that same key pressed for it to be effective.

It’s super counter-intuitive and I really don’t like that about Tynker’s key checking. Anyways, let’s move to a different topic.

1 Like

Wow, this is a great idea! Bluetooth keyboard input would be great for projects.

5 Likes

Aswell as Bluetooth controllers (especially now that both PlayStation, and Xbox controllers are supported by apple)

2 Likes

YEah would love controllers! When ”R1 is tapped” such and such

1 Like