Better Online Status on Forum

Better Online Status

Full Credit goes to creator

link The plugin link: Who's Online Plugin (discourse-whos-online) - plugin - Discourse Meta

I was looking through Discourse plugin for the forum. I came across one for showing if your online.

I think this would be a good idea because it would help to know if someone is online.

(there is already a way to see this but it’s a hassle and not that accurate)

? Common Questions

Can I disable this show it doesn’t show when im online
Yes you can

How does it look?

(plugin creators picture not mine)

THERE IS ALSO AN OPTION TO SHOW EVERYONE ONLINE

As seen here:
af9186cf7b6b694a8e00018fc67bce7f9f4e3660

What can be adjustable?

Admins can change:
  • whos_online_active_timeago : maximum “last seen” for which users are considered online (minutes)
  • whos_online_collapse_threshold : number of users before the avatars overlap each other (see gif above). Set very high to disable this feature
  • whos_online_maximum_display : the maximum number of avatars to display. The numeric counter will still count higher than this. The choice of who gets displayed is currently inconsistent
  • whos_online minimum_display : the minimum number of avatars to display. Below this, a “no users online” message is displayed
  • whos_online_hide_below_minimum_display : if enabled, the widget will be entirely hidden when the number of users is less than minimum_display
  • whos_online_display_public : should the plugin be displayed to people who aren’t logged in? Defaults to true.
  • whos_online_display_min_trust_level : the minimum trust level that this plugin is displayed to. Defaults to 0
  • whos_online_avatar_indicator : choose how to display online status on user avatars. Defaults to “ring”
  • whos_online_avatar_indicator_topic_lists : display avatar indicators in mobile topic lists, and the “Categories & Latest” view. Defaults to off.
  • whos_online_count_only : when enabled, only the count will be displayed. Online user identities will not be revealed

Language Strings:

• js.whos_online.no_users | “No users currently online”:The message displayed when the number of users < whos online minimum display setting.
  • js.whos_online.title | “Online ({{count}})”: The text displayed before the list of avatars. {{count}} is the number of users online.
  • js.whos_online.tooltip | “Users seen in the last 5 minutes”: the text displayed on mouseover of the text.

Additional bits

Newest version:

Do like this idea?

• Yes :white_check_mark:
  • No :x:
  • Maybe :thinking:

0 voters

Tags

@Potato.exe @Yuanyuan @UIM

7 Likes

Stealing first post

5 Likes

https://forum.gethopscotch.com/g/trust_level_0?desc=true&order=last_seen_at

I have a post with this bookmarked
So I’m assuming this is what you were talking about and how it was a hassle. The answer is simple. Bookmark it! (This is still a feature we need)

6 Likes

The plugin also has a feature to show everyone who is online

This can be easily disabled if it is considered a safety issue and there is a setting to disable you from showing up on the list

4 Likes

woah, awesome work, that’s a extremely detailed OP! i’d love to see this in the forum :)

@Dragongirl1264 i literally have a keyboard shortcut which automatically writes Trust_Level_0 when i type tru lol :hs_octo:

6 Likes

this is a really good idea now I can see if my friends are online wait but so many people would be on at the same time, wouldn’t it like clog up the screen…

5 Likes

thanks for the suggestion, we can look into this

8 Likes

Yes but the plugin creator thought of that

It shrinks when more are online

4 Likes

Yeah it would be an interesting mechanic for interacting with others on the forum, and probably contribute to an increased feeling of shared presence, where people are comfortable with it.

(It can already be hard when things are virtual and it can feel a bit more isolated)

I think either way unfortunately we’re not in a position to install this plugin here — we can make use of only the Discourse Business and Standard plugins Plugin directory | Discourse - Civilized Discussion

5 Likes

Can you possibly edit code?

Or is that only for self hosted forums

5 Likes

Yeah it’s only for self-hosted forums (Hopscotch Forum is a Discourse customer)

4 Likes

That’s a bit of a bummer

Yall can close/archive

2 Likes