Better FPS when reading music

A feature I’d like to see in Hopscotch is:

Better fps when Hopscotch is reading multiple music blocks

I’d use it for this type of project:

Game with background music, or just musical projects

Here are some examples of Hopscotch code that could be improved if we had this:

Better fps so better user experience.

Falling Up is an extreme case of buggy musical project.

Here is an example design I’ve made:

No way

I’ve seen something similar in another programming languages, it looks like this:

Webplayer, the fps is near ~61 when played on safari

@Yuanyuan @t1_hopscotch @AwesomeOnion @/Awesome_E

10 Likes

I think it’s good where it is

Hm, I’ve never noticed a slow FPS with music blocks, at least not without the sub. I don’t do large projects often though.

What’s the FPS on Waterfall?

2 Likes

Yeah, in large projects, one sound can cause a bit of a lag spike. Mostly it’s just latency (and by that, I mean it causes the code to freeze for a fraction of a second).

Multiple sounds played at once can also cause this to happen.

Take Awesome_E’s lag test project for example, it played so many sounds at once, it caused FPS to drop to 3 (even on a 2021 iPad Pro M1). In the web browser, it’s not an issue since it can handle it.

5 Likes

haha perfect

Waterfall is made to have the best fps, but Falling Up isn’t. It has an average fps of 45 with an minimum for 30, which is extremely critical for a musical project

2 Likes

Yes, this is a great suggestion
you cant even play 4 notes at the same time without it lagging

2 Likes

Every music coder struggles with this. My solution is to add a wait block (or any equivalent) to the start to try to stop any lag at the beginning, though this could end up with a “lurch” effect when the music begins to play (for a non-mathematical but questionably practical solution)

I think it also depends on the device, as my old iPad Air 1st gen (I think) couldn’t keep up with Hopscotch anymore (rip :pray:) so newer devices most likely work better.

also don’t play a bunch of random sounds in a project if you want your device to survive the night fyi

2 Likes

In my project STAR-LINK, I play a Low-C and wait for a second at the beginning of the project, which, surprisingly, was the only way to prevent music lag. The wait block alone didn’t help much for me.

1 Like

exactly what I do, not foolproof but it’s good enough

Crazy theory, but maybe the real reason the FPS is poor when reading music is because it is unable to keep up with the refresh rate. Sometimes notes can play in less than 1 frame (especially at very high tempos), which Hopscotch is not designed to do (except for certain blocks such as set variable, increase by, and comment).

Well it’d have to be a difference between Safari and the app if you’re talking about 4-5 notes at a time – I think maybe how the sound files are loaded(?). But once you get past a certain point, it just becomes the limits of how fast the device can run the code.