Announcing our new CEO

Hi Hopscotchers,

Samantha here. Some of you may know me as AwesomeOnion on Hopscotch, I’m also one of the co-founders of the company and was the long-time CEO. I have an exciting announcement: Rodrigo, our longtime designer, and a Hopscotcher for life, has bought the company and is your new fearless leader. I am thrilled, and couldn’t imagine a better person to take the helm of this company and product that has meant so much to me and to all of you.

As for me, after almost twelve wonderful years at Hopscotch, it was time for a change. Almost my whole career and identity has been shaped by this company—I started it when I was barely out of college. I’m so grateful for all the impact Hopscotch has had on me and on the world. From building the first version of Hopscotch with Jocelyn in Hawaii to going on Shark Tank in the middle of the pandemic, it’s been a journey full of adventures. And the games, apps, and art that you all created on the platform continue to amaze and awe me. I never would have dreamed of how far you all would take this little language we started

While I’m sad to leave, I’m walking away knowing that it’s in good hands. I can’t wait to see where Rodrigo and you all take Hopscotch during the next 12 years and beyond.

Happy Hopscotching!
Samantha

51 Likes

Wow! This is huge news!

Congratulations @/Rodrigo! I can’t wait to see what this new chapter for Hopscotch holds!

And AwesomeOnion, I can’t thank you enough for the app you co-created. Hopscotch has been, for longer than I can remember, a major part of my life. It has really changed my life, and before you leave I want to thank you, on my behalf, and on behalf of all the lives Hopscotch has changed.

Farewell, and may your future endeavors go as great as this one did :saluting_face:

24 Likes

Safe travels, and best of luck on your adventures going forward :sparkles: :seedling:
You’ve created something beautiful, a community of coders and creators, collaborators and contributors, letting both kids and adults alike explore the world of code. I trust that the company is in safe hands and look forward to the future of hopscotch. :)

21 Likes

Oh my, gl on the rest of your journey onion

17 Likes

I’m going to really miss you, Samantha. Thank you for all you’ve done for Hopscotch and its wonderful community.

Congratulations, @Rodrigo!

14 Likes

Hope the wind treats your sails well, Samantha!

Congrats Rodrigo, Hopscotch is in good hands!

14 Likes

Thanks for everything you’ve done for us, @AwesomeOnion! It’s been awesome (E and onion :wink:) just how much you were able to shape my career and potentially so many others!

As for Rodrigo, I can’t wait to see what comes out of this – I know you have a lot of great ideas and will do great at leading Hopscotch moving forward!

16 Likes

Congratulations @Rodrigo ! I know we didn’t meet since you were announced to be coming back to THT but I can already tell you’re going to make a great C.E.O! I love how open-minded you are to the community and I definitely am excited for the future of HS as it’s been a huge part of my day-to-day life for years and I am looking forward to where it will go! :blue_heart:

Thank you @AwesomeOnion for everything, you really shaped HS and took it to where it is today!

15 Likes

Congrats, @Rodrigo!!!

13 Likes

Congratulations, Rodrigo!

12 Likes

Congratulations, Rodrigo! :))

10 Likes

Noo!!!

I hope where ever you go next you have an impact :blush:

@Rodrigo congrats

13 Likes

You’ve left quite a legendary reputation on hopscotch! It’s crazy to see what you’ve built here, but the departure is well-deserved. I believe Rodrigo will do a fantastic job now that you’ve passed on the torch :sparkles:

10 Likes

Hey congratulations @Rodrigo!!

And for @AwesomeOnion, may your future be awesome and bright!
We will all miss you so much!! o7

11 Likes

Samantha: we will all miss you for sure. Thanks for your kindness and hard work throughout the years!

And to everyone in THT: Thank you all for making Hopscotch so good, and thanks for running it for 12 long years! I’m really grateful for this platform, and I’m thrilled to see it put into great hands. :D

12 Likes

thank you @AwesomeOnion for all the hard work you’ve done these past years and i wish you luck in all your future works!

and of course a big congratulations to @Rodrigo, i’m sure you’ll be a great ceo!!

10 Likes

Wow congrats rodrigo! Its amazing you actually own hopscotch now

8 Likes

It must have been expensive to buy hopscotch
I hope :grimacing:

I think 200k

5 Likes

1 million dollars or something lol

6 Likes

@AwesomeOnion – what you’ve developed is great, & has impacted countless lives. thank you for your work, & best of luck with wherever life takes you from here!

@Rodrigo – congratulations, i can’t wait to see what you do with hs!

i hate to be that person, but… hs isn’t at twelve years yet. it isn’t even at eleven. hs’s 11th birthday is next month.

8 Likes