AAPI Heritage Month Competition

This event/competition/challenge is started by me (@sophia) and all the currencies, rewards, and prizes are handled by me, not Hopscotch. You can find other similar self-started events in the latest #competitions-and-events or #shops-and-requests topics, or even start one yourself. Because this is started by me, Hopscotch and the forum leaders are not involved or responsible in any of the transactions here.

May is AAPI Heritage Month! :earth_asia:

What is AAPI Heritage Month?
AAPI stands for Asian American and Pacific Islanders and are those in America who can trace their family roots back to the continent of Asia or to any of the multitude of islands in the Pacific Ocean. Through the centuries, this people group has brought about a number of contributions including USB technology, great movies, delicious food (such as sushi :sushi:), and even the founding of YouTube.

Beginning in 1979, Presidents of the United States began officially recognizing AAPI Heritage Week. Starting in 1990, the whole month became a time to draw attention to the accomplishments of the AAPI community and for people to celebrate their heritage.

The competition
Create a project in Hopscotch to celebrate AAPI Heritage Month. It could be as simple as the project I made last year, or you could be a little more creative and make…

• coded art of a cultural dish
  • an infographic of fun facts
  • any awesome project that fits the theme

I’m leaving this pretty wide open, so I can’t wait to see what y’all come up with! When you get done, just post a link here so everyone can see.

The project submission deadline is May 29, 2022 4:00 AM,after which I will create a private poll where community members can vote for their favorite project (regardless of whether they participated). On May 31, the poll will close, results will be revealed, and prizes will begin to be distributed.

Prizes
All projects submitted will receive a like or two or three from me, and several eye-catching projects will be nominated for curated. Additionally, prizes for first, second, and third places will be given out.
First:

• 50 seeds
  • spamlikes on both forum and app
  • a compliment bomb
  • other community prizes*

Second:

• 25 seeds
  • spamlikes on either app or forum
  • a forum post shoutout

Third:

• 10 seeds
  • spamlikes on either app or forum
  • a forum post shoutout

*If you would like to commit to giving any small prizes (such as likes, shoutouts, etc.) to first, second, and third place winners, it would be very appreciated.

Suggestions for prizes are also welcome!

@sophia71205sfmtl

25 Likes

claps good child

9 Likes

Btw, it’s been a year…
But how’s the pixel art of my face going? /j

7 Likes

This looks amazing, and I’m def participating. I was gonna do an AAPI project anyways, but now that I have some motivation I won’t back out lol.

5 Likes

(Which, perfectly fits the theme, so anyone is welcome to do so lol)

I definitely feel that haha. I keep a long list of future projects, and it takes a competition to get me motivated.

6 Likes

Sounds awesome! I’ll definitely make something

5 Likes

This sounds superb I would love to try make a project for it!
At our school we recently had a heritage week to celebrate 10 years!

5 Likes

I’ll probably participate! And I’ll try to find as much time as possible!

6 Likes

this sounds great!! I’ll start gathering information about aapi & start writing down ideas

5 Likes

Okay :white_check_mark: this is now a challenge. I will also bind this with @Impasta’S challenge. How long do we get? And I know this is off topic sorry but @Impasta, how long do I get for your competition?

4 Likes

I will join

4 Likes

i will certainly be joining

4 Likes

Yeah me too!

4 Likes

I will join.

5 Likes

@sophia i can give two plants to first and one to second?

3 Likes

would a deadline extension request be available?

4 Likes

Yes! Thank you so much!

If you don’t have your project in right at that time, that’s okay, but I’d like it in by sometime early-ish (before noon EST) the next day so I can open to poll and have results out by the end of the month.

4 Likes

Nice comp! You should make a poll to see who would participate!

4 Likes

@omtl check this out

9 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion! I might later on

(To all who were tagged, see OP for details)

8 Likes