A message about impersonation

Hello! This is a message from your fellow community leaders and @Jazz and @Ana. Recently, we’ve noticed that some of you tried to impersonate members of the Hopscotch team and leaders by using the same profile picture as them.

That’s fun to do if you’re collaborating with other users and as a team, you all have the same avatar picture.

However, trying to impersonate a staff member can create lots of confusion and make some people think that a reply posted by a community member is an “official post”. Imagine you saw this:

Please note: The above reply is fake and the picture has been edited. Neither a fake user called “Anna” nor the reply above has existed. It is an example, but not an unrealistic one.
It is easy to confuse the user for Ana and think that this is an official announcement, especially if you are scrolling through a topic or skimming it.

Thus, Official warning:

If Leaders or a member of THT will see that the forum users intentionally impersonate the Hopscotch staff, they’ll issue a written reminder (a post or a private message). If ignored, this action will lead to a temporary ban. Alt accounts made to impersonate somebody will be banned without notice.

And before you ask, if it is clear that you aren´t impersonating somebody or that the other person is okay with you having the same profile picture as them, go ahead and have fun!

@omtl

44 Likes

I’m glad that y’all are taking care for this. Thanks William for passing on this message!

12 Likes

I have gotten confused this way before, thanks for taking care of it!

8 Likes

i think that such accounts should be banned even without a warning. i’m pretty sure the creator of that fake account understands what s/he is doing.

4 Likes

Yep, that is true. If it is a fake account only for impersonating, it will be banned immediately.
But if you just changed your profile picture to Ana´s on your @anon10858172 account, you will get a warning first. Does that make it more clear?

8 Likes

Some users may not, they may do it as a joke. Everyone should get a warning at first, otherwise it’s unfair, especially if they are a new user.

@William04GamerA you might wanna pin this topic?

7 Likes

Well, if we see the need for it, the topic will be pinned and put in the #announcements category. But it is here for now.

6 Likes

Wow! I cannot wait for coding on my fridge!
That’s completely amazing

Congrats on partnering with Samsung

10 Likes

lol I hope you get that that was fake and just an example

5 Likes

Lol yeah
At first I thought it was real

How did Anna get past approval that’s hilarious

5 Likes

People who read that post should be realistic and not gullible.No offense if you got tricked. But Coding on your fridge???

5 Likes

The screenshot in the top post has been edited and is not real. The user “Anna” is not a real user on the forum and it has not been one too.

Just to clarify for you and anyone else that might be wondering :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wow! I can’t wait to code on my fridge.

On which fridges will I be able to code?

Will there be any special fridge-exclusive blocks?

12 Likes

That person should be watchful of his/her reputation. What will people think of you when you impersonate?

6 Likes

@Rodrik834_Backup, I saw you like a post. alt accounts are not allowed. I’m just trying to save you from trouble.

7 Likes

Actually, this user has existed befroe but has been deleted.

Thank you for bringing us awareness of the issue

7 Likes

Thanks for taking care of this!

(though if coding on your fridge actually was going to be a thing, it would be awesome XD)

7 Likes

Has it? Well, you get the point.

5 Likes

Yeah. The post is still on the community guidelines topic and was kinda deceiving, to your point. The user on the post is now a trash can with no name (deleted). You probably also know the “Lisa” fake account

5 Likes

Yes, I am aware of that and the other leaders as well. That is why we are taking action about it.

6 Likes