A mathematical machine

It's a mathematical machine based on the Collatz Conjecture.
Only if @BuildASnowman was back

New edition: https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/yij1e7e9q

19 Likes

Woah! :open_mouth: This is highly advanced and AWESOME!!! :laughing:

4 Likes

That's really cool, and really interesting! The steps used and milliseconds taken are very cool features, and they don't seem laggy at all. Very cool project! :D

Though maybe you could use a check once if to make sure the number is larger than zero, because zero will never make it to one using your algorithm, and just keeps repeating. But you did make a veto button, which basically fixes that bug except for the fact that it can happen.

5 Likes

It's seems really cool and complicated! I'm a little confused about the algorithm behind it tho! (I'm not good at math sorry)

2 Likes

So if the number is even, it will divide it by 2, and if it's odd then it will multiply by 3 and add 1? That's really good stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

16 views on the link!? That amazing.

It's a real mathematical problem.

It's amazing. (I kinda understand it.) nice though

1 Like

It repeats it self when it gets to one like
1=odd
1*3+1=4
4=even
4/2=2
2=even
2/2=1
So it repeats. I had to find a way around that.

Think i have seen it before. But a problem, you say? How so?

2 Likes

It's called the Collatz Conjecture.

1 Like

Cool machine! I like it!

1 Like

Always happy to drop in.

I love that you are doing this, and I love this project. The collatz conjecture is one of my favorite problems to toy around with, because it’s so seemingly simple but there really is a lot of structure and some insane complexity.

To illustrate, let me show what happens if you take a plane (like a coordinate plane), and color each coordinate based on how long it takes to get to 1 (ie, how long it’s “Collatz sequence” is):

Amazing, right?

I would love to see another “famous unsolved math problem” project. May I suggest testing if a number is perfect or not? It is conjectured that there are no odd perfect numbers, but no one actually can prove it. Maybe you’ll be the first :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Woah! That's art!
I don't really know how to make a perfect integer project.
Maybe numbers under 1000 with 10 displays for 10 integers?

1 Like

After some quick thinking. No, it isn't possible because odd nipumbers cannot be divided by 2 evenly.

1 Like

Odd numbers can be divided by two :slight_smile:
5/2= 2.5

2 Likes

I know that. Wholes numbers.

1 Like

Sorry bout dat
Me read it wrong :wink:

1 Like