A Little Info on "Bloated Projects"

Use this template to make awesome bug reports:
Since this is a bug, I have to fill out this entire report.

Your username:
Xenorift
What kind of device are you using?:
iPad Air 2 (iOS 10)
1 sentence description of the problem (I was doing _________, and then __________ happened):
Either copying drafts or jamming in too many objects or code will cause the project to increase to an unnecessary size.
Steps to make the problem happen:
1. Jam a ton of objects and code into a single draft
2. Duplicate, duplicate, duplicate, and wait
3. By now the editor will be slow. Typing will slow immensely too. Open up iTunes.
4. Connect your device and copy .json folder out.
5. Look at the .hopscotch files. Sort by date edited, and choose the most recent one on a notepad (Preferably something like Microsoft Word or Notepad++)

….

I expected this to happen:
Somewhere it should say how many lines/characters. A reasonable number for the code should be shown.
But instead this happened:
One of my drafts had more than two million characters and 80 thousand lines, not really ideal. The project only had 100 or so objects, although some had tons of code. Somewhere, somehow along the duplicating process, the file had gotten more code.
Here’s a sweet screenshot:
Now, this screenshot is from my sister's computer, but it shows my draft. Note the line numbers on the left side, and the totals at the bottom. This goes back to when duplicating existed. (If im right) The only reason every drop down is minimized, is so I don't have to upload around 500 images.

Note "traits", "eventParameters", and "abilities".

10 Likes

??

1 Like

What in the world does the code like thing mean?

1 Like

I wouldn't blame you guys, this kind of stuff would be hard to understand

2 Likes

Yes... very confusing.

off topic

I don't plan on pursuing a career in coding but I will consider it.

Wait why is it like 1, 2, 3, 4, 1111, 4801?
@Steelhooves

2 Likes

@MiNi Up there i said i minimized the drop downs. If you look closely, you can see +'s in boxes. Those numbers indicate what line you are on. Characters in a text file are on lines, so its easier to read. Those numbers, are numbering the lines.

3 Likes

Okay I got 3/4 of that :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MiNi Quote what you don't understand

1 Like

Dats what I don't get. I don't know why.

Edit I get it now.

ah, heres an example (even tho you get it)

Not lined
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

On lines
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

1 Like

nope. I tend to type and never do this

Hi!
Im steel!
(this has vertical positioning)

and always do this:

Hi! Im steel! (this has no vertical positioning, and is better considered a string)

2 Likes

Owwwwwwww..... my cat.... ouuuuucchhhhhh..... ahhhhhh....
Sorry my little mental break down....

Oh I understand.
I write like this though.
(Vertically)

1 Like

Kinda interesting. So you think it's something to do with the .json files not being very well optimised?

2 Likes

I understood it........ and you're smarter than me.....

2 Likes

No, its what Hopscotch is deciding to do with the .json files. You see, the app can edit the file to add or remove code you place, but it does it in a very unoptimized way.

1 Like

Hello, currency, looking for more info?

Well clearly I'm not that smart lol

2 Likes

not sure if i should tag the team, or if they already know the source of the problem.