3D Car Simulator- Released (by JojoDude)

competition
top5win
leaderboard

Intro:

Hey guys! So I’m working on a game (linked above) called “3D Car Simulator) for now. It takes the model from @MagmaPOP’s ‘Drivable 3D Car! :red_car:’ (not the exact same model, but something similar) and gives you the fairly simple task of dodging the 2D cars that drive across the screen.

This topic is just to find some bugs in the game before I officially post it as well as to help me solve a problem.

Problem:

Every once in a while, just as a 2D Car appears on the right of the screen, the “You Died” screen comes up.

The “You Died” screen only appears if a value named “Ded” is set to one and the only code that causes value “Ded” to be set to 1 is “When (3D Car) bumps (2D Car)”. What’s causing this to happen?

[Solved by @ThinBuffalo. Don’t spam the up and down arrows just to make sure.]

Link 2:

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/z6rojj7qg

Update Notes:

New interface (to make the Levels and Points easier to see).
Customisable Control Settings (positioning of arrows)
Two New Car Colours (Pink and Brown)
Fixes bug where you would die when there are no 2D cars on screen.(Credit will be given to @ThinBuffalo (for solving) and @BlastFusion (for helping) in the final version.)

Final Version:

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/z7pko5s8g

Just editing in the final version of the game.

People who are mentioned in the game in the same order that they were added:

Special thanks mentions:

@ThinBuffalo
@BlastFusion
@William04GamerA
@DMF

Top 5 Leaderboard Mentions:

@MyPi
@BestKing22
@Holly_Aarmau
@ThinBuffalo (again for the Leaderboard)
@Dude73

By the way, I’m leaving the Forum and HS now.

I’ll still come back every once in a while to check on things but for now, I’m gone.

I’ll return March 2019.

Check here for more: https://forum.gethopscotch.com/t/jojo-dude-s-topic/23011/458

Also check my bio if you need anything from me.

Thanks everyone for everything! Bye.

That’s really cool but I need to deal with semi-depression now…

wonder if i caused it… lol

Well, you were slightly annoying but I do forgive you. Currently I am annoyed at xse, and disappointed in COAN.

It looks like the When Bumps rule is getting confused. The way you create the clones for the 3D car leaves several “blank” texts. It seems then When Bumps rule is occasionally triggering on one of these blank text clones.

There’s better ways to create the clones and set their texts, but since you have Create a Clone in multiple places the timing is a bit convoluted. So, I couldn’t get the 3D car to come out exactly the same as with your current code.

So rather than change the code, the easy way to fix it is to move the “blank” objects off screen. See the 2 added Set Positions. This isn’t elegant but it seems to do the trick.

This also happened in MyPi’s game. He in fact, coincidencely also had a 3D car.
I suggested a method to overcome it, but is it right? Maybe you could help and give the same advice?

Alright, awesome. I’ll try this out a few times to ensure that there aren’t any further glitches caused by this and if all goes well, I’ll start on the next part of my Forum ventures, I want a top 5 leaderboard from the Forum so I’ll get everyone to play and post their scores so that they can go up.

I’ll try this if @ThinBuffalo’s method doesn’t work but tbh, the majority of the time, he’s right.

The game is a little buggy, but I love the idea

Awesome! Let me know what bugs need to be fixed once I apply the changes that @ThinBuffalo suggested.

The bug that I’m getting is, whenever the entity car disappears and I move the same time it spawns back in, I die. So you could at least try to fix that.

It should be fixed now with @ThinBuffalo’s method, from what I’m seeing at least.

The new link will be posted shortly, I’m adding some new features quick.

The bug I got is that I randomly lost even though I didn’t see a car. Other than that, I really like the game! Maybe add HSB compatibility so that you can choose the HSB color of your car?

That’s a really great idea that I had initially planned on adding but there are a few problems I’d have to account for:

If the HSB colour was really dark, you wouldn’t be able to see it on the road.
If the HSB colour was too similar to the grass colour, you wouldn’t be able to see the up/down arrows.
People might not (or not want to) understand the concept of a HSB colour in the first place to select it and I’d like my menus to be clear and simple for anyone.

If the game took place on a plain white background, I’d make sure that the brightness limit was less than 80 or so, that way the colour wouldn’t be too light on the background.

For now though, I’ve fixed the bug you spoke about and would like to invite everyone to reach the highest possible score they can to make the Top 5 Forum Leaderboard. (May be changed to a top 10 depending on how many participants I get.)

Should I retag the OMTL or tag the people who liked the top post (what do you suggest I do to get people to play it first?)

Yeah, I understand, and it might be hard to set restrictions for these colors. I am glad that you fixed the bug though :slight_smile:

https://c.gethopscotch.com/p/z6rojj7qg

Update Notes:

New interface (to make the Levels and Points easier to see).
Customisable Control Settings (positioning of arrows)
Two New Car Colours (Pink and Brown)
Fixes bug where you would die when there are no 2D cars on screen.(Credit will be given to @ThinBuffalo (for solving) and @BlastFusion (for helping) in the final version.)

Bug Fixes have happened and I’m now welcoming everyone to try out for the Top 5 Leaderboard.

Try to beat my score of Level 10, 91’568 points (I won’t be on the Leaderboard btw).

If you make the Top 5, your name and score will also appear (above the number of points) as people attempt to reach/beat your score.

@POMTL, I’ve tagged you more recently because this is the only thing stopping me from publishing.

@OMTL… Please forgive me 11/1/18

I’m decent with coding in 3D, if you need help just tag me.

Sure. Can you play the game and test for bugs?

When you’re done playing, take a screenshot of your best score and post it.

@MyPi… is that possible?

bump

Sorry. I didn’t really have time. I’ll try soon.